Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to wire a pair of spotlights/running lights up, can i connect them to the spare live and ground wires in the back of the headlight bowl to have a nice clean install and would this cause any problems with overloading or stator issues in the future or will it be better to get them on their own circuit with a separate relay and switch like the kuryakyn the only other things i am running additional to stock are a cobra fi200 and a tachometer the spot lights are 55 watt any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I believe the main reason for the wires in the headlight bucket are for added lights, but I could be wrong. On my 800, I'm pretty sure I read that they are on a 10amp fuse. If you have a meter, you can see if they are on with just one beam of your headlight or both, or with the ignition or not. Pretty sure are with ingition though. What is the amp draw of the lights? 55 watt may be a bit much for the circiut, and possibly the stator. I think 35 may be about as much as you'll want to go. I could be completely off my rocker about all this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just put a 35 watt bulb in will that use the same amps ? It may be a stupid question but I don't really know a l lot about the electrical circuits

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's not a guess. 55w / 12 ish volts = 4.5 amps. x 2 lights= 9 amps. So, if your new spots are on the same circuit as your headlight, and your headlights are also 55w, (add another 4.5amps which gives you 13.5 amps total) and they are all on a 10 amp fuse, then fuse = blown; head = hurts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would put a relay on the headlight circuit, and run the power for your spots from it's own source. Less chance for broken. And when you forget later that the lamps were supposed to only be 35 watts, and you put the 55's back in, you wont be throwing wrenches over that cussed blown fuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts