Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody worn sport-oriented boots on a cruiser before? Is it comfortable? Is it a bad idea?

My thought process is that I want alpinestars boots, for no logical or fact based reason. Unfortunately, I don't really like any of their touring or cruiser-oriented boots. However, I do like their sport boots, and I want as much protection as I can possibly get, and it seems like sport boots are the way to go in that regard.

So, is it a bad idea, or should I be okay?

Are sport boots pre-formed for sport bikes similar to how some jackets have the arms pre-formed and curved for a more comfortable position? Or will they work fine standing on floorboards?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got some gently used AlpineStars calf-height boots from Craigslist, and they seem totally fine on my Vulcan S. I don't have floorboards, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Has anybody worn sport-oriented boots on a cruiser before? Is it comfortable? Is it a bad idea?

My thought process is that I want alpinestars boots, for no logical or fact based reason. Unfortunately, I don't really like any of their touring or cruiser-oriented boots. However, I do like their sport boots, and I want as much protection as I can possibly get, and it seems like sport boots are the way to go in that regard.

So, is it a bad idea, or should I be okay?

Are sport boots pre-formed for sport bikes similar to how some jackets have the arms pre-formed and curved for a more comfortable position? Or will they work fine standing on floorboards?
I don't wear sport boots and I don't know anything about them. However, I do wear cowboy style work boots and I ride a 900 LT. So far so good. I didn't think they would work with floorborads. Thought the boot shaft would be a problem; but, nope! I would think that if the sport boots are form fitting, then they would not be a good choice for a cruiser. JMO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some gently used AlpineStars calf-height boots from Craigslist, and they seem totally fine on my Vulcan S. I don't have floorboards, but I don't see why they wouldn't work with them.
Do you remember what model they were?

I don't wear sport boots and I don't know anything about them. However, I do wear cowboy style work boots and I ride a 900 LT. So far so good. I didn't think they would work with floorborads. Thought the boot shaft would be a problem; but, nope! I would think that if the sport boots are form fitting, then they would not be a good choice for a cruiser. JMO.
How's the ankle protection on your boots? That's the main thing I'm worried about, I want to reduce the chances of a twisted/fractured ankle if I wreck my bike and go tumbling along the pavement.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How's the ankle protection on your boots? That's the main thing I'm worried about, I want to reduce the chances of a twisted/fractured ankle if I wreck my bike and go tumbling along the pavement.
There isn't any ankle protection. Heck, I could twist my ankle in them from walking; but, they are great if standing on concrete for hours and hours.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There isn't any ankle protection. Heck, I could twist my ankle in them from walking; but, they are great if standing on concrete for hours and hours.
I'm definitely wanting a pair of motorcycle boots with heavy protection, and then I'll change into walking shoes once I get to my destination. The last thing I want to do is go down in boots that don't protect me and wind up with a shattered ankle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have been wearing motorcycle specific sport touring boots for decades on my BMWs, worn Joe Rocket, Motoport, Alpinestars, and now two pair of TCX (BMW boots). The TCX boots fit great, I can wear them all day and they are totally waterproof as I have proved in 1,000s of miles of rain riding. They have good supportive shanks in them for foot comfort on footpegs, and I'd expect even more comfort on floorboards when I start riding the VN1600 I bought recently.

They have great ankle and shin protection (lost count of how many times I've been hit by something on my shins while riding), and they feature great grip with the soles. So I am sold on wearing the same on my Vulcan. But since my Vulcan has floorboards it will give me the option of western style boots when the mood strikes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wear A* Roam 2 Airs with no trouble. The heel-down-toe-up angle doesn't allow as much airflow as on a sportbike, but they work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sport boots should work fine with no problems. But I'd probably stick with a short boot though. I use Sedici Rapido boots. Picked them up at a steal from a consignment shop. They were practically brand new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've worn various types of boots when riding my Nomad. In the summer I don't like the heavier boots and prefer something light, so I have a pair of AlpineStars that come below my shins and they seem fine too me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts