Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my 15K service and something that surprised me was my spokes. Several of them were really out of spec and I'm glad that I checked them. Most of the guys I know don't ever check their spokes, but there's a lot of literature out there about why that's a dangerous practice.

I bought a little tool from Motion Pro that's specifically designed to torque spokes. I'm pretty sure I heard about it from a post on this forum years ago. I just wanted to let everybody know that most of mine needed tightening--some of them a lot--and that it might be a good idea to check them the next time you're out there tinkering around in the garage.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Agree with you. A good friend of mine got a used two year old HD Heritage with only 2k miles one it. We did some good riding for about six months and then on a trip I missed they said the bike on the way to the trip started to wobble slightly but on the way back they actually had to stop at a HD dealer because they noticed the rear wobble was increasing. The wheel was not repearable due to it was not corrected right away. He ended having to buy a used fatboy rim to make it home. Now he rides with a steel fatboy on the back and the spokes up front.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Do you use a tool which gives you a torque reading or use the one in tool kit and go by feel?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I guess thats some thing I'll have to remember. I justifey buying tools by the money I save not having some one else do it , plus doing it your self you know you got individualized service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts