Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question I have a 2009 classic 900 took a 3 hour ride the other day and when I was come back into town and stopped at a red light it died on me it did fire back up but now it spits and sputters when taking of almost like it's not getting enough Gas but while going down the road it seems fine and also seems to be putting off more heat than usual fan has been kicking on more that usual

·
Registered
761 Posts
Have you installed anything like a fuel processor/controller that could have malfunctioned ?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Only 5k on an 09 did you put any fuel treatment in the tank when the bike was sitting for extended periods of time like over the winter? You may need some sea foam or injector cleaner of some sort. Might take several tanks to make a difference.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Do a quick check on the plug wires and fuel injector connectors. Something may have come loose. Did you possibly just fill the tank up before returning home? I only ask because you mentioned you had just rode about 3hrs. Bad gas is a very real possibility. Get some seafoam or fuel additive and see what happens. If you didn't fill up before the issue maybe towards the end of the tank you got some crap sucked into the fuel lines. Seafoam would help break it down, I have never put anything else in my Vulcan.

My Harley though on the other hand being carbed, I have ran into bad gas and always carry a bottle of fuel treatment with me. I run premium all the time when possible. If I can't get it and have to run ethanol fuel I will also add in the fuel treatment at time of fill up.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Get some seafoam or fuel additive and see what happens. If you didn't fill up before the issue maybe towards the end of the tank you got some crap sucked into the fuel lines. Seafoam would help break it down, I have never put anything else in my Vulcan.
I have used STP multi engine treatment with success. They claim the fuel stablization and friction reduction is superior to seafoam.

http://www.stp.com/products/multipurpose-additives/multipurpose-vs-seafoam/

Just wanted to point out an alternative to seafoam that worked for me, may be a superior product.

As a rule I only use additives if the bike will be left for a while or if I have issue like rough idle etc.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Is the idle set correctly? Some like to set it really low which can cause issues at takeoff, etc.

Beyond that I'll second the motion of a good additive. STP and Seafoam are favorites, as other posters have said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts