Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have an 08 Vulcan custom. I love the look of the spike air cleaner/filters. Is there one for the Vulcan 900 or one that can fit with a mod. Thanks.

Sped1966

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shiloh and Halek52. I looked at the thunder spike air kit. On the info for the required adapter it mentions needing a power commander. Will I need the power commander for the air filter kit or is that just if I install a hypercharger.
Thanks again. Sped1966

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Shiloh. I looked at the thunder spike air kit. On the info for the required adapter it mentions needing a power commander. Will I need the power commander for the air filter kit or is that just if I install a hypercharger.
Thanks again. Sped1966

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Only intake, or only exhaust, and the bike will be fine. If you upgrade both, however, then you need the computer upgrade too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks Shiloh. I looked at the thunder spike air kit. On the info for the required adapter it mentions needing a power commander. Will I need the power commander for the air filter kit or is that just if I install a hypercharger.
Thanks again. Sped1966
The Hypercharger, Tornado, BAk, SS unit, etc all can benefit from a fuel processor, but it is generally felt that only changing the intake doesn't require a Fuel Management unit.

So you should be ok without a fuel management kit. But a fuel Management kit/unit/processor will improve the bike in terms of throttle response and to a extent power.

But if you plan on doing a Fuel Processor, there are many options that I think are more suitable for this application than a Power Commander, cost less, produce excellent results and are far more user friendly.

Consider the Fuel Managements units such as Cobras, Fuggin Fab's, Dobeck's Techlusion, and well as a number of other branded units (many are made by Dobeck as private label units).

I used the Techlusion unit from Dobeck for two reasons, the number one reason being that Fuel Management is their main business and only business, where some of the other sellers really have a primary business of exhaust systems with fuel management modules being a sideline resell item to them, and secondly, prior excellent results from Dobeck on other bikes.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but I was bored this evening, and remembered the problems another forum member was having with getting a PC III correctly setup with a dealer charging him $$$ every step of the way. In fact, the dealer talked him out of a Cobra 2000FI unit and into the more expensive PC III, and now wants to charge more to correctly set it up if I remember correctly.

I am running the Techlusion with the BAK and stock exhaust and the results are excellent in all regards with the recommended Fuel settings from Dobeck.

You should, if you decide to install The Thunder Mfg unit and a fuel processor, exclusive of a PC III, achieve like results. A note on the Cobra 2000 unit is that the printed instructions that come with the unit seems to be on the rich to very rich side according to people who have posted results and settings. But the settings are a piece of cake to adjust, the unit is good and it is cost effective..

Sorry I bent your ear so much, (actually that doesn't make sense unless you read this aloud). :)

Andy

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks again. Sped1966
In the simplest of terms, if your bike starts to backfire after installing new pipes either/and/or the air kit, you'll need a fuel manaement system such as the Power Commander or the Cobra fuel processor (a bit less complicated to deal with). No backfire, you're probably OK, but don't count on it happening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts