Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea how accurate the speedo is on the VN2K's? Going down the Beltway today my speedo said I was running 80 and everyone was passing me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
According to GPS....mine is exactly 10% off......easy to figure to.....look at speedo and subtract the first number......80-8...72, 130-13..........etc.

I still don't like it though.........the speedo healer works great......I had one on my VTX......you just have to start with a "Known Quantity". Use a Gps Or get someone to RADAR you............I did that.....it was easy for me cause I am a cop...........anyway.......speedohealer is very good

·
Registered
419 Posts
Up close and personal

oddly they don't make it for the 2000........I don't like universal stuff. Wonder what the install is like
I contacted the company last winter by e-mail and they responded by telling me that they believed they already made one that would plug in. To make sure they asked me to take a couple of pictures of the stock connector and a couple of voltage readings. But as I've sold the V2K to my brother and bought a Voyager, I never followed up.

Yes, I do believe I have the plug and play connector for that bike, if you can take a picture of your speed sensor connector I will confirm this,... I would just need for you to take a few measurements with a multimeter or voltmeter from the speed sensor, so I will know how to wire your plug and play harness for you. I'll also throw in a $20 discount, making the unit only $59.95.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks!
-Brooks

·
Registered
136 Posts
I contacted the company last winter by e-mail and they responded by telling me that they believed they already made one that would plug in. To make sure they asked me to take a couple of pictures of the stock connector and a couple of voltage readings. But as I've sold the V2K to my brother and bought a Voyager, I never followed up.

Yes, I do believe I have the plug and play connector for that bike, if you can take a picture of your speed sensor connector I will confirm this,... I would just need for you to take a few measurements with a multimeter or voltmeter from the speed sensor, so I will know how to wire your plug and play harness for you. I'll also throw in a $20 discount, making the unit only $59.95.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks!
-Brooks
I think I'll go with the speedohealer:eek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
According to GPS....mine is exactly 10% off......easy to figure to.....look at speedo and subtract the first number......80-8...72, 130-13..........etc.

I still don't like it though.........the speedo healer works great......I had one on my VTX......you just have to start with a "Known Quantity". Use a Gps Or get someone to RADAR you............I did that.....it was easy for me cause I am a cop...........anyway.......speedohealer is very good
Where do you work at? I too belong to the Brothers in Blue. I ride with a LEO Club in New York.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, maybe they were going 85mph, lol
Surely you hit the nail on the head(sort of). I checked my speedo today against my GPS and YES, I do have a significant error if the GPS can be believed.

60 mph indicated = 55 on GPS

70 mph indicated = 64 on GPS

80 mph indicated = 73 on GPS

Appears to be about a 9% error all the way across, +/-.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is around 9% fast. Whats the chance of getting Kawasaki to fix it. I was somewhat surprised that the speedometer was that far out of calibration. It's 2010, come on, surely they can correct the problem.:mad:

Don't forget, because of the error in calibration, your bike racks up more miles and your warranty runs out quicker. Honda cars had a problem with the speedometer's racking up more miles than were actually being traveled, they had to pay off in court for the mistake.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Mine is around 9% fast. Whats the chance of getting Kawasaki to fix it. I was somewhat surprised that the speedometer was that far out of calibration. It's 2010, come on, surely they can correct the problem.:mad:
Don't forget, because of the error in calibration, your bike racks up more miles and your warranty runs out quicker. Honda cars had a problem with the speedometer's racking up more miles than were actually being traveled, they had to pay off in court for the mistake.
all jap bikes seem to have this problem. it must be inherent in thier design. my other bikes from other countries do not exhibit this error. so, yeah, one is american and another italian, but they are accurate and even radar tested. only my jap bikes do this.. all of them.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I've been told it's intentional error built in to avoid any legal issues with regard to speedo being slow. If we Americans weren't so eager to try to pin the blame on someone else you might have an accurate speedo. ;)

Is it confirmed the odometer is off by the same amount too? It could be that they have different programming for the speedo and for the odo, if this is the case, correcting with the "black box" will cause the odo to read falsely low.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought a "speedohealer" was somthing you put in your swim trunks to help attract the attention of girls,tried one once its about the size of a sweet potato,went to the beach,every one ran away called the company they specified putting it in the front. this works much better.

maybe going slower than the actual reeding has kept me from gettin a ticket.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I thought a "speedohelper" was somthing you put in your swim trunks to help attract the attention of girls,tried one once its about the size of a sweet potato,went to the beach,every one ran away called the company they specified putting it in the front. maybe this has kept me from gettig a speeding ticket.
LMAO...........:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts