Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 custom. I was riding home and all the sudden my speedometer stopped working. The lights and gas gauge seems to function just fine along with the clock and what not. I looked and didn’t see any sensors or cables going to the front and back brake so where in the hell is the speedo cable. I also looked online at the bikes parts list and couldn’t find a part number on bike bandit. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
The wire that connects the speedometer to the speed sensor is part if the wiring harness so you can't see it per se , the speed sensor is located at the back of the engine behind the coolant resevoir, try checking if the conector on the sensor came loose.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wire that connects the speedometer to the speed sensor is part if the wiring harness so you can't see it per se , the speed sensor is located at the back of the engine behind the coolant resevoir, try checking if the conector on the sensor came loose.

I’ll take a look now

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I don’t see anything behind it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I have found it. It’s on the right hand side crank case and it apparently leads under the seat where it connects to some module.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You have to take the plastic tank off . so you can look at the back of the engine, if I can figure out how to sen you a picture I will send it to you , or you can try and get the service manual on line

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to take the plastic tank off . so you can look at the back of the engine, if I can figure out how to sen you a picture I will send it to you , or you can try and get the service manual on line

I’ll start looking for a service manual. If you could figure out pictures that would be great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The sensor is mounted directly on the back of the crankcase , that module you have I think is to correct the speedometer's reading , that is usually 5% off , now there is where you should start try removing that module and take it from there,still trying to figure out the pictures LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sensor is mounted directly on the back of the crankcase , that module you have I think is to correct the speedometer's reading , that is usually 5% off , now there is where you should start try removing that module and take it from there,still trying to figure out the pictures LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes , that screw holds the sensor in place , if you can download the manual in the electrical system chapter there is a test you can perform on the speed sensor to check if it's working properly

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There’s apparently a tool to test the sensor with a multimeter but I look up the part number and can’t find it lol. There’s no winning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I took it for a ride today with the wife and stop to get some gas before we headed out. When taking off I looked down the the speed needle was working!!! I was stoked. Than about 5 minutes into the ride however it stopped working again. Does this sound like a bad sensor or perhaps a cable that needs to be replaced. Connections seem to be snug in the odometer and the sensor. I wouldn’t be able to look at the entire wire unless I pull the tank completely off. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. I rather avoid dismantling the bike for no reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts