Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter...Maybe its time to fix the speedometer on the 07 custom to indicate accurately
After finding explanations here that speedos generally show about 10% higher than ground speed, that has worked out to about right for me

For those that have done it....
What is the easiest way?
What is the most accurate way?

Change the tires? To what size?
Change the gears? I really like the current hole-shot this thing has..

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
After I changed both pulleys I'm just a couple of miles off. But Really, who's counting when your at 80.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I changed rear tire to 170-80 speedo is pretty much spot on with this taller tire. I went with the Michelin commander 2 it measured 177mm wide and visually I don't notice it being any narrower thatn the Dunlop 180/70 that was originally on the bike. Lot's of posts on the forum about changing to the 170/80 tire.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently installed a speedoDRD on my Mean Streak (purchased through amazon for better price/shipping). I'm very happy with the results. I really hated the inacurate speedometer.

12oClockLabs Store
Thank you for the link

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I changed both pulleys I'm just a couple of miles off. But Really, who's counting when your at 80.
Do you remember the front and rear teeth counts you changed over to?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
front 34 back 62 I believe.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Installed new Michelin Commander 2 170/80-15. The tire mounted on the rim and inflated measures 175mm wide. The previous MC2 tire measured 177mm wide but that was with the wheel/tire on the bike.

Most reviews on the MC2 are positive although some complain of poor wet road traction. I am a fair weather rider so the added mileage out of the tire is more important to me. Dry road handling is good.

WB

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I too installed the same 12oClockLabs speedodrd unit as MeanGreen.

Enjoy it's flexibility and features. It can be programmed easily as often as need be to correct for any/all changes that affect speedo reading.

Careful placement required. I needed to shield my unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts