Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on several posts here about people changing tire sizes to correct speedometer inaccuracies on Vulcans. I have an 09 Nomad and am curious if the speedometer issue is on all Vulcans or just certain models/years. What is the issue?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the only way to tell is run a gps on the bike and check your speedo, i have a 09 vn900lt, it is out 5 kph (3 mph), my suzuki gsx650 f is out the same amount as i believe all suzuki's are ... talk to the dealer and they will tell you it has to do with liability issues . ( if they cant dazzel you with brillance they will baffel you with bull#@$%), most speedo's are run off the motor and not the front wheel hub, so many rpms = whatever speed , changing the tire size will only work if it is run off the front wheel hub.

hope this helps. Maurice

·
Registered
88 Posts
the only way to tell is run a gps on the bike and check your speedo, i have a 09 vn900lt, it is out 5 kph (3 mph), my suzuki gsx650 f is out the same amount as i believe all suzuki's are ... talk to the dealer and they will tell you it has to do with liability issues . ( if they cant dazzel you with brillance they will baffel you with bull#@$%), most speedo's are run off the motor and not the front wheel hub, so many rpms = whatever speed , changing the tire size will only work if it is run off the front wheel hub.

hope this helps. Maurice
The speed is not depend of rpm or it would change when you rev the engine. The speed it picked up by the front belt pully on 900 vulcans. Check out any parts break down and it will show it in that area. If you put a larger diameter tire on it will give you more actual speed with a lower speed reading on the speedometer for the same given engine rpm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts