Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Anyone try using a resistor to fix the speedometer error? Similar to the gas gauge fix? not sure if it is the same principle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Changing resistance will not fix the speedo issue. The problem is the pulses per mile on the speed sensor does not match the speedo reading. I installed a baron front od pulley and a 170-80-16 (taller) rear tire. The speedo is nearly spot-on, but my odometer reads 10% slow

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Changing resistance will not fix the speedo issue. The problem is the pulses per mile on the speed sensor does not match the speedo reading. I installed a baron front od pulley and a 170-80-16 (taller) rear tire. The speedo is nearly spot-on, but my odometer reads 10% slow

I assume you mean 10% low(as in 10% less miles traveled)...not slow.

Not surprising, considering you apparently increased the diameter of the tire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts

Did you change the wheel size also.The 900's come with a 15 inch rear wheel and not a 16.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No change of rim size, just a bad memory. Lol. I'm running a 170-80-15 commander II

·
Registered
71 Posts
With the larger front pulley, that will throw it off even more. When I first got the bike stock the speedo read 6mph fast. The odometer was correct, mile marker to mile marker. After installing the pulley and taller tire. The speedo is fairly close (accuracy check courtesy of the grundy county sheriff's dept and the iowa hwy patrol), but mile marker to mile marker the odometer clicks off .9 every time

·
Registered
304 Posts
A thought just occurred to me...if you have a taller (read: larger diameter) tire, does your bike have ABS? If so a change could make a difference on how the ABS reacts, or it might throw an error light/code.

Since the ABS uses individual wheel speed sensors this might be an issue, or not depending on system tolerances...just my $.02.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not sure about the newer models, but the 2010 doesn't have abs. You are correct that changing tire size on a bike with abs, especially only one tire. Would not be a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts