Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, after reading the "Custom Speedometer Dial" threads, why doesn't some aspiring ontrepanure (spelling?) design an accurate speedometer dial that compansates for the 10% higher reading on the OME dial? :confused: I'd buy one right away and I'm sure many others would too! I know it's not that big a deal, but it just bugs me that I always have to consciously be aware and mentally computate my speed each time I check my speedometer reading. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Every motorcycle I have ever ridden has been off. I don't know why, but I doubt there is a fix. I, personally, would think that the engineers paid by the manufacturers would have figured it out if there was.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but i think you'd pretty much destroy the chrome ring holding down the glass cover getting to the dial... maybe not.

I chose to go the route of the gearing ratio change via an aftermarket pulley. That improved the need for a 6th gear and, at the same time, straightened out the speedometer problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The speedometer is 7%to 10% off on most Japanese bikes because of a lawsuit in Europe. It is on purpose so the manufacture will not get suied. The fix is called a SPEEDOHEALER, an electronic device which corrects the reading by percentage from -99 to +99 you set the correction. Simple install and work's great, been using it for a year now.

Or put on a bigger (taller) tire or get an overdrive pulley (front or back) these options will correct some of the differance, but the SPEEDOHEALER is the only one to get exact and can be changed when something else changes. (like adding a pulley)

·
Registered
782 Posts
As Bytehead says the difference in actual speed and the gauge varies per each bike. It is not just 10% off on every 900. I'm not sure why that is since you would expect the parts for every bike in a given series to be the same. But for this reason the modified dial plate is not as easy a fix as it sounds since they don't know if you your bike is off 7%... 8%... 10%. Of course, anything would be better than it is stock.

So far the scootwork OD pulley has put me within 1 MPH of correct according to my handi-dandy GPS. Still the speedohealer is probably the best solution since it can be changed to account for multiple options such as tire size, pulley ratios, etc.

PS- The guys at the custom dial place may be able to do the ~10% adjustment. I was reading where they can customize the pictures so maybe they can adjust the scale too. Maybe you could contact them to ask.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The speedometer is 7%to 10% off on most Japanese bikes because of a lawsuit in Europe. It is on purpose so the manufacture will not get suied. The fix is called a SPEEDOHEALER, an electronic device which corrects the reading by percentage from -99 to +99 you set the correction. Simple install and work's great, been using it for a year now.
I'm considering this option. Is there a place selling them for a decent price?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but i think you'd pretty much destroy the chrome ring holding down the glass cover getting to the dial... maybe not.

I chose to go the route of the gearing ratio change via an aftermarket pulley. That improved the need for a 6th gear and, at the same time, straightened out the speedometer problem.
the speedo does not come off that way, you remove it by gaining access to the bottom and removing all the screws. then the top black cover with glass and chrome ring slide out and away... the speedo is exposed now.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
the speedo does not come off that way, you remove it by gaining access to the bottom and removing all the screws. then the top black cover with glass and chrome ring slide out and away... the speedo is exposed now.
!! Thanks, jagered. I didn't know that.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Or put on a bigger (taller) tire or get an overdrive pulley (front or back) these options will correct some of the difference, but the SPEEDOHEALER is the only one to get exact and can be changed when something else changes. (like adding a pulley)
Does the SPEEDOHEALER also effect the odometer or not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the 1st bike I've owned that has an inaccurate speedometer.

'03 Concours to an '81 KZ750. Each was within 1-2 mph at 65mph using GPS as a standard.

I've learned to subtract 5-7 mph from what I see to get how fast I'm really going.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm considering this option. Is there a place selling them for a decent price?
Define decent price? We are talking about a motorcycle remember.
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ is the maker, most places are about the same price 114.99 cannot remember where i got mine. Just google SPEEDOHEALER and pick one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well put my custom dial in last night, easy, very easy. I know my speedo was off before adding the custom dial from Joe(Webslinger), but after adding the dial I checked via friend that is a city cop, also followed vehicle, I am dead on 10 mph off, dial says 40 actual speed 30, dial says 50 actual speed 40. It may have been like that from the day I bought the bike, I do not know, but if there is truth to the fact that the ODO is creating a wrong number concerns me more. Never knew that!

There were no tutorials done on the SpeedoHealer website for a VN 900, so I am not real sure about doing it myself. Sounds like a great thing but how you adjust it so that say with mine where I am actual doing 40 it reads 40 in the few tutorials I read never told you how to make that change. If anyone has installed on on a VN 900 would be great to see the step by step. I mean if it works and corrects the issue then the cost is minimal.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Define decent price? We are talking about a motorcycle remember.
heh, sorry, forgot where I was. :D

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ is the maker, most places are about the same price 114.99 cannot remember where i got mine. Just google SPEEDOHEALER and pick one.
Yes, I looked at that and several of their approved vendors. The price is the same, MSRP at all of them. Some kind of price fixing going on there by healtech... :(

So, I bought a competitor's product, the speedo tuner, for a nice discount from MSRP. Should be here today or Monday. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well put my custom dial in last night, easy, very easy. I know my speedo was off before adding the custom dial from Joe(Webslinger), but after adding the dial I checked via friend that is a city cop, also followed vehicle, I am dead on 10 mph off, dial says 40 actual speed 30, dial says 50 actual speed 40. It may have been like that from the day I bought the bike, I do not know, but if there is truth to the fact that the ODO is creating a wrong number concerns me more. Never knew that!

There were no tutorials done on the SpeedoHealer website for a VN 900, so I am not real sure about doing it myself. Sounds like a great thing but how you adjust it so that say with mine where I am actual doing 40 it reads 40 in the few tutorials I read never told you how to make that change. If anyone has installed on on a VN 900 would be great to see the step by step. I mean if it works and corrects the issue then the cost is minimal.

The SPEEDOHEALER is an electronic device that corrects the signal by percentage. IE if you have 70 on speedo and 63 is actual that is a 10% differance (what I was getting) set the speedohealer for -10% and all is good.

However it sounds like your speedo is just off, don't know how you would fix that other than moving the dial itself.

The tutorials are for all bikes that have electronic speedo nothing bike specific.

Yes if the speedo is off the Odo is off also the bummer is they are off by different amounts, if speedo is off by10% the Odo is off by 5%, after correcting the speedo by 10% the Odo is still off by 5% just in the other direction.

Hopefully someone who has put in a custom dial will give a hand on that issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well after all the reading, think what I am going to do next is verify the ODO accuracy, if it is on(which some say it most likely is) then I may just order another dial from Joe again and have him offset the numbers.

I am dead on 10 mph off, so that is an easy adjustment for him to make on the dial placement.

If the ODO is off(dependant on how much) I would consider adding the SpeedoHealer. We will see.

okay, ODO is dead on, so not feeling that going with the SpeedoHealer such a good idea. Think I may either just deal with a constant 10 mph off across the range, or have Joe make an offset dial if you will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts