Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a post a year or 2 ago about removing the face plate of the speedo of an 800 classic. If anyone has done this or knows the post I need, please let me know. Mine is showing its age and want to get a replacement. The guy who makes them said he has never done this one, but if I can send him my face plate, he'll use it a a template to make them.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
It will not be possible without damaging the decorative ring around the glass :( Take it out of the frame and see Yourself. In my opinion it will be cheaper and easier to buy another used speedometer.
To get it out of the frame You have to unscrew side adjuster and two screws on the bottom.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THere is a youtube video about doing just that. Under this name Changing the speedo face on my cruiser XVZ1300 XVZ 1300 Yamaha Royal Star
This looks like just what I was needing to know. Looks like patients is the key n disassembly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, as I said, no chance to do it without damaging the ring :(
Any witness marks on it will be a sign for manipulation with mileage. Especially when You will try to sell the bike some day. I just bought a used speedo for about 50 bucks. I wanted kilometers instead of miles. Breaking into it is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not concerned so much about selling it someday, had it since it was new. As for the mileage, it only reads to 99,999.9 miles anyway, and its already exceeded that, besides, whats the chances of getting another peedo with the same mileage reading?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the face out with no apparent damage. Sent email to Jared, waiting on reply as to how much and where to send it. Will update this thread as I get more info. FTW2017, I followed the video you posted and went as described so far. The face in the 2nd pic is the one I'm looking into having him make.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the new face plate back today, gotta go to work shortly so will be a day or so before I get it installed. This is the 1st one he has made for this style speedo. Will post pictures once installed also.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait to see it on the bike

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Been thinking of doing this one.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts