Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is interesting what I found on my very long trip to Ft Worth over the weekend. As everyone knows, most 900 speedo's are about 10% to fast...in my case, my speedometer says I'm going 78 MPH when both my GPS's I own say I'm only doing 70 MPH. Doing the math, my trip meter should read 8 miles further traveled if I were to go 70 miles...right?:cool: Well...I did a little road trip with my dad to Lake Ray Roberts...and while stopping at the State Park, I checked the sync between my Kaw's gauges, to what my GPS was...mind you I reset BOTH when I gassed up that morning. My OEM gauges said I had traveled 94 miles, but my GPS said I had traveled 99 miles, which concludes to me that the speedometer, which reads to fast is not somehow linked to the trip/miles gauge...and, that those little Jap guys are screwing with us.:p:cool:

Weird :confused:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
LOL. Your deductions are correct, HeUeR. The speedometer and the odometer run off separate signals and are independent of each other. Why this is and how they do it, i haven't a clue, you'd think they'd be linked.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. Your deductions are correct, HeUeR. The speedometer and the odometer run off separate signals and are independent of each other. Why this is and how they do it, i haven't a clue, you'd think they'd be linked.
I'm telling you right now those Japs are over there laughing their ass off at us.;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
My odo error is about half my speedo error. With worn stock tire odo was long by about 5%, speedo over by 10%.

With the new 170/80 rear tire, which is larger diameter, odo is 2% short, and speedo is 4% long.

speedos read high by design, but odos do not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts