Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that the odometer is more accurate than the speedometer? My speedometer appears to be off about 8 to 10 percent. However, my odometer seems to be within 2 to 4 percent. I haven't performed a measured mileage test on the odometer but over the last two short trips it seems to be almost exact while the speedometer is definitely off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My bike was showing 68 when I was running 60. I bought a deviced from 12oclockLabs and fixed it. Now it's right on. It's easy to install and calibrate......:D

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
That one works fine. Did you get one of these? Does it work like advertised?
I am amazed that any manufacturer purposely makes their speedos work incorrectly. It isn't rocket science to make anything electronic work like it should.

I've checked mine against my GPS and it appears to be about 10% high.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@CP59, is your odometer accurate or is it off 10% like your speedometer?

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
@CP59, is your odometer accurate or is it off 10% like your speedometer?
Honestly I don't know. I guess I always assumed they were tied together like the old mechanical units. Thinking about it now I can see where there could be large differences, being as how they are two separate circuits.

This is definitely something I need to check out with my GPS. Thanks for the brain bump.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mileage and speed are two different circuits? Through one speed sensor? How can that be?..........:confused:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mileage and speed are two different circuits? Through one speed sensor? How can that be?..........:confused:
To answer your original question, my speedo is about 8-10% off.
My ODO seems to be about 4% off. Measured through 10 mile markers, and odo went 10.4.

Sending units send signal to them. How they interpret them is different.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
This is way cool, but you either have to have a chain drive bike, or a gps to figure out your initial variance. I have neither, so what other alternative is there?
Radar if you can find an agreeable policeman

Someone to drive along with you in a car and set their speed to an agreed upon number.

Mile markers on the highway.

A VERY long rope or string.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Sending unit sends signal to the speedo cluster where it is manipulated into two signals, one for speed and one for mileage. Since there are no mechanical gears the signals need to be calibrated to correct numbers but it appears that only the speed is of concern.
It is actually two circuits that give you mileage and speed. If you check your cars speed and mileage you will find slight differences also. Not as drastic but still there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Radar if you can find an agreeable policeman

Someone to drive along with you in a car and set their speed to an agreed upon number.

Mile markers on the highway.

A VERY long rope or string.
Yeah, mile markers would work. Not as accurate as GPS, but something I can work on next season. I know my speedo is off as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I guess it's time to get a TomTom or borrow that roll of string from Coolpig.........;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts