Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine as a 2008 900 classic and the speed stopped and i was wondering were the pick up was on the bike ?

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
here is a pic of the sensor

speed sensor.jpg here is a pic of the sensor

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Speed sensor is located in the back of the motor in front of the rear inner fender ....you will see a cabled wire(harness) attached to it. That unit is employed to send signals to display ground speed. If you currently do not have speed indication the sender or the harness may be at fault...... read the service manual on how to check it...It is unlikely that the meter has failed BUT you could check as well the connector on the meter....easy to do...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Speed sensor is located in the back of the motor in front of the rear inner fender ....you will see a cabled wire(harness) attached to it. That unit is employed to send signals to display ground speed. If you currently do not have speed indication the sender or the harness may be at fault...... read the service manual on how to check it...It is unlikely that the meter has failed BUT you could check as well the connector on the meter....easy to do...
After re-checking my Clymer that is right. My manual covers 96 to 08 1500 Vulcans and I don't have a cable at the front wheel either. The older models do. Nice catch thewazard!

·
Registered
142 Posts
reddyford ---No big deal man!! I put a Speedhealer on my 900 year before last........Getting the thing wired in was a pain cause I didn't use the clamp connectors. I cut, spliced and soldered then used heat shrink to seal the joins from water.....getting the unit dialled in to the proper speed was more aggravating...FUN!!! Hope you find your problems there SPR

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think, I may be wrong, the speed sensor has any influence on the speedometer. I believe it's used by the ECU to convert load torque. Its inside the left crank case outer cover.

The speedometer cable is recommended to be lub'd annually at the front wheel.
I may be wrong but I was told this is where the speed is picked up for the speedometer. ( speed sensor )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts