Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo is way out now that I went to a smaller darkside rear. I haven't tried it against a GPS yet, but I think it's out 10-15mph now. I know installing the Euro gears will bring it closer to accurate, but I don't really want to go that route. I've never really checked but I think they're electronic speedo no? If so is it possible to get it re-programmed to be made accurate?

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
541 Posts
You can use a speedo healer:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-VN2000-2004-2011-HEALTECH-SPEEDOHEALER/dp/B0065N01WS[/ame]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put the Speedo Healer on my v2k a few months back. You simply unplug the wiring to the speed sensor and plug in the Speedo Healer...DONE!!! The only thing you need to do after install is program the unit. It took me about an hour to get it dialed in, but once you get it dialed in you don't ever need to reprogram the unit unless you change tire size or gearing, etc. You can dial this unit in to 1/10th of a percent-right down to the gnats ass. I have read on here that it will not have an effect on the odometer but I went riding with a couple friends the other day and they were showing lots of extra miles compared to mine between fuel stops, so my opinion is that it will also correct the odometer to read actual miles. Once you get this thing on your bike you will find you are not getting the fuel mileage you thought you were because you are recording actual mileage. One of my buddys was riding a 3 year old Harley Dresser and his was way off, both speedo and odometer. He was really let down because he had told me about the fantastic fuel mileage he was getting with his Harley, but when we stopped for fuel we all three were putting in within 2/10ths of a gallon. If memory serves me correctly, I think I paid around $75.00 for the unit and I thought that was a little high at the time but after the install I think it was well worth it. The bottom line here is if you are thinking about getting one of these for your bike, stop hesitating and pull the trigger...you will wonder why you waited so long once you put it on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I forgot to say that the Speedo Healer comes with very easy to read instructions for programming the unit. You can also go to You Tube and see how to program the unit before you even purchase one.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have read on here that it will not have an effect on the odometer...
I'd think that'd be impossible on the assumption they both use a common signal for their reference.

It could be a misunderstanding. It seems I've read that with the factory original setup the speedo is off by roughly 10% (as was mine), but that the odometer is pretty close (I never checked mine but it seemed about right).

If that's the case then putting in a speedo healer would fix the speedo but screw up the odometer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I stated in the above posts that I installed a Speedo Healer on my v2k. I actually installed the unit from 12' o clock Labs and then calibrated it using a GPS. As far as the odometer being healed at the same time I cannot say for sure. All I know is it is reading a lot less miles than everyone else when we stop for fuel. It is certainly possible that it is reading the same as it was before I installed the new unit. I don't remember checking it against anyone elses odometer before the install. I didn't ride too many miles last Fall before I fixed the speedo problem. Maybe when I get a chance to get on the Interstate again I will remember to check my odometer against the mile markers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the speedo healer and the first thing I did was set it to a GPS. Had checked by the local LEO (not planned) and it was right on. The odometer was still off. We have mile marked out for this sort of thing near here. It took a half dozen tries but I got it right on the mark and found that speed still reads about 4 mph high at 65. now that I know. I'm OK with that. At least I can follow given directions now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts