Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my '06 900 Classic this week. Have been reading that the speedo can be off by 8-10% for some people. So I hung my handheld GPS on the handle bar this morning and it registered 14.1 miles just like the bike did, and registered max speed as 59, which is what mine showed. So I am happy.

Yesterday my gas gauge showed 1/2, but my gas light started to flicker. I just had however much gas the dealer had in there. So I filled up and it took 1.8 gal. Gonna see what happens this time when it gets down to 1/2 or so. Not sure if the light starting to flicker was a fluke or not. Also zeroes out my trip meter. Anxious to see what my gas mileage will be.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Just purchased my '06 900 Classic this week. Have been reading that the speedo can be off by 8-10% for some people. So I hung my handheld GPS on the handle bar this morning and it registered 14.1 miles just like the bike did, and registered max speed as 59, which is what mine showed. So I am happy.

Yesterday my gas gauge showed 1/2, but my gas light started to flicker. I just had however much gas the dealer had in there. So I filled up and it took 1.8 gal. Gonna see what happens this time when it gets down to 1/2 or so. Not sure if the light starting to flicker was a fluke or not. Also zeroes out my trip meter. Anxious to see what my gas mileage will be.
If you trip meter zeroed on it's own then there's a broken connection either in the wiring, plug connector or internal to the console. The reset button is suspect too. Whenever the console is unplugged from the bike, the trip meter goes back to zero. Is your clock telling the correct time?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well thanks for this!
I also have a late 06 Vulcan and I am glad to know that speedo/odo are not as bad as reported in this forum. Actually I had noticed that when I was doing 60km/h while commuting, the traffic around me was going at exactly the same pace...
For the gas gauge, mine was completely off like most of them and I did the mod with a 240 Ohms resistor (see gas gauge thread) and it is fine for me now, the light is not a related issue, when mine comes on, there is always about 5 liters left in the tank so I know I can safely ride another 50 kms before getting nervous finding a petrol station, I take this light as just a warning that there is a gallon left in the tank, not a warning that it is critical that I have to get gas asap.
Enjoy your 900!
Gilles

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of right now, I have about 125 miles on the tripometer and the gauge is showing about a 1/4 tank left. The light hasn't starting flickering yet. Maybe it was my imagination slash nervousness. I don't know. It is looking like I will need to do the resistor fix for the gauge though. Will have to check what I have in the garage from working on my CB.

The clock seems to be keeping correct time. I LOVE having the clock!!!!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, in first post meant to say that I zeroed, not zeroes, the tripmeter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The clock seems to be keeping correct time. I LOVE having the clock!!!!
Agree, I do appreciate having a clock, although a colleague rider was quick to remind me that when riding, time should not matter...Also strongly agree on this one!
My last sunday ride got me in trouble with my wife :mad: as it started at 08:00AM and ended back home at 05:00PM :eek: (supposed to be back at 01:00PM, time just flew by)
Of course in everyday life and commuting I sometime have to check the clock.
Gilles

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since I know that my speedometer and odometer are right on, I am stoked that my first fill up shows 51.8MPG!!!!

I had been on empty since last night and the light still wasn't on. I filled up with 3.5 gal, so I still had a gallon and a half left. Guess I'll be playing with some resistors today.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
since I know that my speedometer and odometer are right on, I am stoked that my first fill up shows 51.8MPG!!!!

I had been on empty since last night and the light still wasn't on. I filled up with 3.5 gal, so I still had a gallon and a half left. Guess I'll be playing with some resistors today.
The light is on a separate sensor and won't be effected by adding the resistor. Your gauge, on the other hand, will.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My gas light starts to flickers when the needle gets close to red . I just keep going to it stays on steady . I like it doing this because it reminds me i am getting low on gas . When it stays on steady i gas back up . I will put just about 4 gal . I like to keep that gallon for cooling my fuel pump and just in case i get caught a ways from a gas station .

·
Registered
455 Posts
What size tires are on the bike ?

As you got it from a dealer, do you know if the pulley mod was done ?

I know my speedo is off by 10%. Check it all the time on the highway, using cars that pass me....

·
Registered
941 Posts
screw the clock i want a compass

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the tires on it are the correct size according to the owners manual and I don't believe that the pulley mod has been done on it. it looks like the factory pulley on it.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
what about the front pulley? cuz if the speedo is reading correct then something was changed on the bike...either a pulley, the rear tire, or a speado healer has been installed

·
Registered
369 Posts
What size tires are on the bike ?

As you got it from a dealer, do you know if the pulley mod was done ?

I know my speedo is off by 10%. Check it all the time on the highway, using cars that pass me....
sounds like to me the only thing in that post that he checked was the odometer. he said something about the max speed being 59 compared to his GPS unit which is reading the same. does his GPS show actual speed when hes going down the road? That way he can check precisely how much his speedo is off.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is a handheld GPS that I hung from the handlebar. it does show actual speed as well. I had reset it before I started and it showed the max speed of my trip as being 59mph. I knew at one point looking down at the speedometer that I was going 60. that's why I said that it was pretty much on the spot as being accurate. plus since the tripometer had the same distance that my GPS did, I think they are both pretty accurate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts