Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
This question came up in this forum about a month ago. The cable for your bike is 54001-1236 and is no longer available. The Classic cable is 54001-1215 and is still available, but the post said it was three inches short. The Drifter cable 54001-1239 fits and is a little longer and is a cure for speedometer cable issues of the cable being too tight on your model. Unfortunately, it too has been discontinued. Here is a link to the discussion here.

Try this website. www.motionpro.com. They offer some universal speedometer cable inner cable kits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This question came up in this forum about a month ago. The cable for your bike is 54001-1236 and is no longer available. The Classic cable is 54001-1215 and is still available, but the post said it was three inches short. The Drifter cable 54001-1239 fits and is a little longer and is a cure for speedometer cable issues of the cable being too tight on your model. Unfortunately, it too has been discontinued. Here is a link to the discussion here.

Try this website. www.motionpro.com. They offer some universal speedometer cable inner cable kits.
thank you I will give it a try and the info on the drifter is very helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts

IM THE FUY WHO DISCOVERED THE CLASSIC CABLE WAS TOO ABORT FOR A NOMAD. I GOT RUNNING BY SENDING MY BROKEN CABLE TO A SPEEDOMETER REPAIR PLACE IN DENVER (can share john’s info if needed) WHO BUILT MEMA
BRAND NEW IDENTICAL CABLE USING THE TIPS FROM BOTH ENDS OF THE BROKEN CABLE. WORKS LIKE A CHARM NOW.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Glad to see you are up and running. Thanks for posting the solution to help fellow members who might have the same issue. Ride Safely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i decided to take a good look at this. I thought if you could take the ends and put them on a new piece of cable then there must be a way of attaching the cable. I pulled the cable out of the cover and took my mig welder and spot welded the cable back together. Cable got really hot and caught fire but the weld was good. I very carefully put the welded spot on the grinder and ground it to the same size as the rest of the cable. I put it back inside the cover and hooked it up. Hey it works !!! It is a little jumpy around 60 KMH (40 MPH) but other than that it runs very well. I will see how long it lasts but so far it has been a week and no issues.

·
Registered
99 vulcan nomad G
2 Posts
hey SpeckeledCrow you have any idear how long the inter cable was ? mine broke and i chunk it thought i could buy a new cable but found out i couldnt lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did not think to measure it while it was off but i just went out and took a look. hard to get an exact with it on the bike but i an guessing 3 and a half feet long. and it has been 3 months and the welded cable is still going strong.

·
Registered
1998 Vulcan Nomad 1500G
1 Posts
Speedometer Cable Kawasaki 454 LTD 1985-19 / Vulcan 500 1990-96 / Nomad 1500 on ebay only place i could fine 1
I had the same issue for 6 month of searching for a speedo cable for my 1998 Vulcan Nomad 1500G.
www.wemoto.com.au Ph. +61 (0)244217048 had one when I gave them the length and end fittings.
At the same time I also bought an emergency cable kit which has numerous end fittings and an extra long blank cable to cut to length.
Hope this helps.
Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts