Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on multi-lane roads, and freeways, etc. i try to move slightly faster than the pace of traffic, for safety reasons. this past week, i was on vacation with a buddy who will never go faster than -5mph below the speed limit. it's pretty scary! people fill the gap in front of you with little care to how close. you spend the entire ride in the back wash of semis. anyone stuck behind you curses your name to the gods of the road.

i'm just wondering what the rest of you do?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
ummmmmmmm, Mr. cheezyridr, sir? Y'all need to find yerself a different buddy 'cause that one is going to get you killed if he doesn't buy it first! 5mph under posted is, IMNSHO, a deadly mistake. The speedo on my bike reads 5mph / 8kph slower than real speed. IOW, when my speedo says I am doing 70mph I am, in fact, and verified by GPS, only doing 65mph. So on a posted 70mph hwy, if I was going 5 under at 65mph I would only be doing 60. You might as well run me over with a paving packer at that speed! Sheesh!

Your philosophy fits more with my chosen plan of keeping up with fast moving traffic at all costs, Stay the heck out of cages blind spots, keep your eyes and head moving at all times and drive as if every muther out there was trying to run you over. Cagers are already impatient as all get out and they will not take too kindly to ANY motorized vehicle travelling under the posted speed unless it is an RV or some other type of heavy piece of road machinery.

Cheers!

Mike

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
If your buddy is concerned about safety, then he needs to brush up on it! By his actions he is creating safety hazards! There are plenty of books and courses that teach riders where to ride safely in heavy traffic conditions. You should point him in those directions before he ends up with the wheels up and head down!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts