Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a J&M CB/Intercom on my bike and for the most part everything is working great, but I get a wine that I have to Squelch out when the bike starts moving and it increases as the bike goes faster. I tracked it down to the speed sensor. When it is unplugged there is no noise. This is not a noise being transmitted through the electrical system, because I have hooked up the J&M to a separate Gel Cell so the unit is not connected to the electrical system what so ever. This is being transmitted through the antenna. I have a really good top of the line no ground plane CB antenna that I had on my Nomad for 3 years with no problems. The coax is top of the line stuff, and I run it along the frame, identical to the way I had it installed on the Nomad. The antenna tuned almost perfect.

What I was looking for was a way to suppress the noise some how? I have the identical problem with the radiator fan as well and maybe the same solution would apply.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Put a capacitor between the power source (the hot side of course), and the radio unit. That should filter out any stray noise. You can get one at any Radio Shack or CB radio shop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a noise filter that came with the J&M. I am also not connected to the bike power. I am powering it off a Gel Cell. Do you still think a capacitor would work?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figures it out for the most part. I had a Speedo Healer on it that was creating most of the noise. That is now removed. I still had a little hum so I wrapped a piece of tinfoil around the wires coming out of the speed sensor and that got rid of the rest of the noise.

I tried wrapping tinfoil around the speedo Healer but there was just too much noise coming from it.

I had a couple Ferrites so I clamped them onto the wire going into the radiator fan. That seemed to dampen some of the noise from the radiator fan. I will get a few more and see of that gets rid of the rest of the noise generated from the radiator fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts