Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Bike: 2006 V2K Classic

Got an email from a vendor that indicated the speed sensor *connector* was near the drive sprocket (pulley I guess). Checked my service manual (wrong year book) and it looked like it was behind the left side cover.

Though I would ask where before I start taking off the wrong covers...

Thanks,
Woody

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
speed pick up sensor

Though I would ask where before I start taking off the wrong covers...Thanks, Woody
wood'r, the speedo pick up sensor is located at the top/back of the transmission final drive gear housing, Right side cover. see pix.
this sensor counts the number of teeth on that final drive gear. Stock is 50t and N.am skoots are set for this. The euro gear set is 48t final drive, correction is 2 tooth-or 4% correction of speedo read out. plus more top end at less rpm.
There is a washer/spacer on the stock pickup that has to be removed to move the sensor closer to the new euro gear so it can read the teeth. its a bugger to get to. if you are looking to remove this sensor, I will document a simpler method. lemme know. out, ponch

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to know the simpler method of removing the speed sensor. I am looking at doing the euro gears so any input would be great.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
drill baby, drill

I would like to know the simpler method of removing the speed sensor. I am looking at doing the euro gears so any input would be great.
bh, check another thread "EuroGears" for more details. here are some pix. I drilled out a hole in the electric box to get an allen wrench in and loosen that keeper bolt on the speedo sensor. Otherwise you will have to remove ALL the electronics and boxes to get this kind of access to that little item. bunch O work.
If you haven't got your gears yet, try www.babbittsonline.com they have Kaw parts at discount. I paid about $200 w/gaskets for the set.
#16085-0027 44t gear = $89.81
#16085-0033 48t gear = $89.81
#11061-0017 gasket = $17.33
#11061-0018 gasket = $10.40
shipping = $15.83
no taxes
I got hung up getting the gears loose. Sfair piped in with his penny trick. it worked. but as usual, cost doubled. needed a second penny to retighten the new gears.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ponch,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. All I needed was to find the connector. Was easy when I knew at which side to start (thanks for the pix). Believe I gonna give it up and get one of the speedo fixers. Tired of adding 10% then figuring how much I can steal ;).

Back from an afternoon cruise through the foothills with a small group. Weather was great and the trees are *just* beginning to get some color. I think it now might be Sunday siesta time!

Woody

·
Registered
445 Posts
Poncho,
New to the forum here. Loved to see your effort in helping out with pics and all. Reminds me of the Yami 1100 forum I was involved in before purchasing
this beast.
Just wanted to tell you its appriciated much by guys like me.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts