Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have exhaust and an air filter, i want to make the bike decently fast if that’s possible, it’s quick stock but i want it noticeably faster. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Fast? It's already FAST. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. The tops speed is around 115mph and there is no way to get it any faster. Actually by adding the exhaust you probably lost some torque and gained a few ponies on the top end but that won't change the top speed. If you want a Faster Bike buy a Yamaha FZ09 or XSR. Those things are scary fast. Even the FZ07 is an extremely quick and fun bike. The Vulcan S is a fun little bike and it is nimble and quick. But no matter what you throw at it, it's as fast as it's going to get.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i am just guessing but to make your S faster you might need to spend about $2000 and gain about another 4 HP, that's roughly spending $500 for every 1 HP increase, and I doubt you will notice a 4 HP increase in your S, you might need to spend $8,000 on new cams and pistons and air intake a whole engine rebuild to notice the difference in speed for your S, I'm just throwing out ball-park numbers but my point is if you want speed than your S is not worth it, sell it and buy a 650cc short stroke sports bike that has a red line rpm of over 14,000 rpms , there's your speed, but also there's your risk of dying faster too

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
do not be deceived, because speed can and does kill, a true story is i witnessed 1st hand a biker die on the road, I was there and saw it all happen, i was the one who removed his boots as he lay there on the road and others put sweaters under his head to help but we realized that it was to no avail, he was dead, and it wasn't his fault either, a car turned infront of him and he hit the passenger side door, his motorcycle came to a dead stop but he didn't stop, he ended up way up the road, I suspect his neck broke on impact with the asphalt, but you want to know what really caused his death? speed. I saw it all and he was speeding, so even though he had the right of way and it was the car drivers fault, he ended up dying that day. the reason.... speed, had he been going the legal limit he would not be dead now, so do not be deceived, speed can and does kill, just sayin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Out of curiosity, I've taken the Vulcan S, personally, to 108, and there was juice left (based on GPS... speedo showed 114).
Not another vehicle in sight, and a straight dry slab...

Unless you plan on taking it to the track (which would be an interesting sight with a cruiser), why would you need to go faster than that?

No offense intended... but wanting to take a Vulcan S cruiser (or ANY bike, not on a track) into higher triple-digits, makes you a Darwin candidate...

·
Registered
73 Posts
It depends on how you define fast. Top speed fast or acceleration fast? There is little that can be done to achieve a significantly higher top speed...but acceleration fast...there is one surefire way to achieve this given the bike we own. Drop weight! Power to weight ratio governs a significant amount of acceleration. The Vulcan s has a set HP that can be played with a bit through exhaust and other mods, some complicated and best left to a professional. Dropping weight can begin to significantly change the power to weight ratio. Here is a post I did on facebook comparing weight to power ratios of comparable bikes and my modified Vulcan S.

Got a little crazy with the math a bit to figure out the Weight to Power ratio after the fender delete on the Vulcan S.
Stock WTPR:9.09 (649 cc, 54 HP, 498 lbs)
Rear fender delete Mods WTPR: 8.90(488lbs)
Bobbed WTPR: 8.72 (478 lbs)
Dekevlic Exhaust: 8.54 (463 lbs)

As a comparison
Indian Scout Sixty: 7.00 (983 cc, 78 HP)
Star Bolt 8.7 (942 cc, 46.7 HP)
HD softail Delux WTPR: 9.95 (1690 cc, 70.9 HP)
HD Iron 883 WTPR: 11.6 (883 cc, 46.7 HP)
Honda Shadow Phantom WTPR:11.87 (745cc, 44.6 HP)

What does this all mean? ACCELERATION POTENTIAL!
Lower numbers equal great acceleration potential (all other variables being equal).

Stock, the 650 S out accelerates the HDs,and the honda. After the fender delete it is dangerously close to the Bolt.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It has to do with age. I was once invincible and wanted to have the fastest car and the fastest bike. After I have seen what some of these fast bikes can do and after seeing 2 of my friends die after loosing control. I am in no great hurry to meet my maker. I have been in a serious wreck as well but not to my fault. A guy coming from the opposite direction crossing a 6 lane state highway to pull into a Denny's. I guess he was hungry. I was traveling the speed limit at 45 miles an hour when he just pulled right in front of me. I mean the guy was 3 feet from me and I couldn't even hit the brakes, I hit him like a missle in this passenger side. I was lucky I wore a helmet since I hit his side door and bounced off his car hitting the floor hard. Several broken bones and a concussion later .... Well, that has been over 10 years ago and it took a while to get back into the saddle. It is definitely a wake up call and no matter how careful you are there are people that just don't see motorcycles. If I was going any faster I know I would have been dead. So speed isn't that important to me anymore. To have fun and ride with some friends sure. But racing cars with my bike or doing stupid shit no way.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I've been wanting to take her out to a track day for quite a while now. Not really for the top speed side of things, but I would enjoy being able to get all I can out of the turns. I always hold it back a bit when I ride around the mountains because you never truly know what's around the bend (car stopped, tree down, bears, dump truck load of gravel, etc...)

Maybe I'll get a track suit this year, and a track day next year...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i’m glad i bought a piece of shit i can’t mod. it will be traded soon, thanks for the info everyone it was nice being a part of the kawi family but it was short lived for a reason

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well.. based on that last post, let me recommend a Suzuki Hayabusa... Won't be necessary to mod for speed, and you can save money on gear as well... Because w/ that attitude, when you wipe out on the Busa at 190, gear won't do shit for you anyway...

·
Registered
73 Posts
well i’m glad i bought a piece of shit i can’t mod. it will be traded soon, thanks for the info everyone it was nice being a part of the kawi family but it was short lived for a reason
It is not that you can't mod the bike...it just depends on what you want to do to it and how much you want to pay for. A bike like any tool has a specific job for it to be used for. For High Top Speeds, this is the wrong tool. There is no such thing as a shitty tool, just a tool that is not being used for the right job. I can use a hammer to put a screw in a wall but a screw driver will be the much better choice. Just sayin'

Ride safe with whatever you ride!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been wanting to take her out to a track day for quite a while now. Not really for the top speed side of things, but I would enjoy being able to get all I can out of the turns. I always hold it back a bit when I ride around the mountains because you never truly know what's around the bend (car stopped, tree down, bears, dump truck load of gravel, etc...)

Maybe I'll get a track suit this year, and a track day next year...
This is actually my first cruiser, after years and years of sport / adventure bikes. I *love* the twisties (I've posted a number of rides (YouTube) up on the Suches loop, and the Dragon). However, I think the *biggest* detraction from getting on the track w/ a Vulcan S, won't be the speed issue, but rather lean angle and clearance.

After getting used to pulling my bikes way over on turns, I find I'm constantly scraping pegs now, with the Vulcan S. I am *definitely* enjoying the bike - don't get me wrong, however, with the more comfortable ergos, the lower center of gravity and seat height, the trade-off is clearance. I'll finally get used to it, however, I'll be taking those corners a bit cooler than I'm accustomed to...

·
Registered
902 Posts
For the price of the bike, it’s not worth throwing a ton of money at to get a few gains. Go buy another bike with all the speed and power you want. It’s all out there! Try a Kawasaki H2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah, youth...

I guess we'll be reading about you before too long. And by the way, I'm not sure what bit of "cruiser" had you confused with "rocket". Good luck, I suppose.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I must echo the sentiments expressed thus far...to get significantly more HP and/or top end speed out of this bike will require a significant investment of time and $. It will be more economical and you'll get more bang for the buck by acquiring a different bike that meets your criteria straight from the factory. This is true for pretty much any bike out there...significant performance changes require extensive modifications and cash investment to accomplish and you're likely better off finding a new bike that's more suited to your needs/desires than you are dumping more $ into the one that doesn't meet your needs/desires.

What I will add is this, do your research BEFORE you buy!! I cannot overstate this, particularly given your apparent lack of research in the case of your Vulcan S purchase. The Internet has plenty of resources..."magazine" reviews, vendor websites, YouTube and nearly every vendor & bike has a forum like this where you can gather even more feedback and ask pretty much any question you might have. If you're going to replace your S don't rush into a snap decision...take some time to do your homework and you'll be much happier with your next purchase than it appears you are with this one.

Regardless of your ultimate decision I wish you good luck and a long & safe riding career.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sure you can mod it. Put on a windshield, do a fender delete, add LED turn signals, Change out the stock Headlight bulb for a higher power LED, add a ear deafening exhaust that adds noise but very little HP, put on a Power Commander to compensate for the Super Lean condition you just created. Heck, there is a ton of stuff you can do to the bike. How many miles have you actually put on the bike since you bought it? I assume not very many but I hope you at least test rode the bike a few times to get a feel for it and to see if you actually liked it or not? What do you consider Fast? 0-60 in 4.2 seconds will beat a Mustang GT or Camaro off the line. It won't beat a Hellcat or a Lamborghini but why would that be important? What do you have to prove? The Vulcan S is what it is a small displacement cruiser that is surprisingly nimble in the corners. It's a fun bike that pretty much anyone can ride from short to tall, from beginner to experienced riders. Don't trade something away just because it isn't a 30k Superbike. Bikes aren't as performance mod friendly as cars are. What you start out with is pretty much what you get. Sure minor tweaks can be performed but you can't turn a 650cc Parallel twin into a Mad Max Killer. I am guessing you are pretty young since more mature riders wouldn't dismiss a bike just because it isn't the speed demon that he hoped for.
As someone already mentioned, the next time do more research on the bike before jumping the gun. Also don't buy a bike by it's reputation, ride it for yourself and find out if you feel comfortable on it. Go to some of the Bike Events that will start happening again in the spring where you can test ride any bike from multiple manufacturers and find out for yourself what you really like. I actually wanted to buy a Yamaha XSR900 so I test rode it at one of the events. Not just once but twice and then a FZ09. Both bikes are crazy Fast and in A-Mod they will get away from you if you aren't used to what they can do. They will do wheelies even if you don't want them to. It's a great bike if you can control your urges to "Speed" as you say. Otherwise you can get yourself into some major trouble or worse in a blink of an eye. Personally, after riding them I didn't care for them. They were not the kind of bike I was hoping for. Speed isn't everything. Style and how you ride is way more important. Be Safe and don't be in a hurry to get nowhere fast. :wink2:
Look on the bright side. The Vulcan S is about one third the cost in insurance compared to the "Faster" Bikes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, there’s a lot of info online and on YouTube about the Vulcan S for anyone looking to buy. There’s enough info out there that offer plenty of specs and impressions of the bikes character also. Lots of top speed runs and 0-60’s and a decent description of what to expect. No need to make a uninformed purchase. I researched the Vulcan S for two years, out of pure interest, before I bought mine and it was everything everyone said it was and in my opinion more. Couldn’t be happier. As for speed, Indytom is right, it’s fast for a cruiser and in the top 15 fastest cruisers list of which the other cruisers are mostly twice the displacement of the Vulcan S and a hell of a lot more in price!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/gearheads.org/top-fastest-cruiser-motorcycles/amp/

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I almost got baited

Was ready for the " Flame On " mode.But you are right it was a troll post.
I obviously don't show the maturity and judgement that most of yall did. I sat on the scooter in the dealership and 9 days later was unloading my little Cafe S. All I knew was it had a re-tuned Ninja engine and I could touch the ground with flat feet. Oh and it looked cool. I hadn't even test rode one.
About the only significant thing that I will have to resolve will be the suspension. Race Tech will fix the front. I an sure someone has a rear shock that will keep my head from slamming my helmet.
Zfyter remember the DanMoto mantra " Its not how fast you go, its how fast you sound like you're going" :wink2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts