Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am in the market to get a set of amplified speakers, just looking for something with 3.5mm to plug-in.

I found some good selection but before i buy it, i want to ask you guys see if anyone used them and how they like it. i know how to install any of them so im just asking for the used experience.

all of them from phat

#1 choice: Kuryakyn sound of chrome 3" speakers 2nd generation $339.95
stated as true 50w each speaker( smallest of all three)
nice touch with volume control on main speaker
volume control also act as on/off switch
great looking

#2 choice: Cycle Sounds Series 2 Ultra 2.5" Sound Systems $344.95
stated as 75 watts per speaker handling
smallest of all three so doesn't look bulky
great looking too
do not have built-in amp, so have to find a place for it
no switch on/off, no volume control

#3 choice: Rumble Road Ultra Amplified 4" Speakers chrome-191 $317.95
approximately 70W continuous; 100W peak; into 4 OHM at 13.6 VDC with high-gain input( most detail info of speakers)
largest speakers of all three and bulky
highest out put of all three
does not have power switch
come with little cheapy in-line controller to 3.5mm
no on/off switch

that's pretty much all i know for now.

for me i think kuryakyn are the best looking speaker, also mounting hardware.
a big plus with volume control and also act as on/off switch.
I mostly go with kuryakyn. but they are out of stock now from phat.
I was looking at leatherup.com and they are cheaper, but i found a lot of bad reviews from them not shipping on time and shipped wrong product.
they are also hard to deal with credit card and customer service.
so I'm not too comfortable order from them after my experience with shark audio from NY.

cycle sound's speaker looks pretty nice and basically fits anywhere, but i have to get a volume controller and on/off switch, that's not fun and also extra money right there, and i have to find a place to mount the amp which i really don't want to. but at the end, they are small and i like how it fits with the bike.

rumble road i would say the most powerful out of all three and longest in industry for motorcycle speaker, biggest speakers and highest output wattage, come with a little cheappy controller that i think may not last for too long. no on/off switch so i have to buy one. good thing it mounts low profile and built-in amp.

what do you guys think ? maybe I'm not seeing what you are seeing ?
maybe I'm wrong about something ?
It is not cheap and i have talked to my wife for like an hour for her to let me buy it and she can also enjoy it.
we both wear open face helmet so it should all sound good to us.
mostly 90% local or beach ride, 10% of freeway ride.

help me decide if I'm wrong with the product.

THANKS GUYS !!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the Rumble Road premium speakers. Paid 269 for them. The cheapy controller fell apart on me, but I just glued the circuit board in and glued the housing together. Worst case, you can buy this controller at Radio Shack for $10. The speakers sound really good. They are kind of bulky though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I woulkd take a look at these. If you look close I am confident they are the same speaker as Kuryakyn sells, but a little less expensive.

I am not on the Phat bandwagon. Had a terrible billing/customer service issue with them.

http://www.motorcycletunes.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MT-3AS&cat=221
I can get kury sound of chrome for 339.99 from phat and only take them a day of shipping, but yeah that is 20 dollar cheaper from someone i never buy from.
thanks for the information tho. i also found another guy on eBay sell brand new kury for 299.99. i can always find a cheap price, but to order from someone i don't know it kind bother me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Rumble Road premium speakers. Paid 269 for them. The cheapy controller fell apart on me, but I just glued the circuit board in and glued the housing together. Worst case, you can buy this controller at Radio Shack for $10. The speakers sound really good. They are kind of bulky though.

I looked video on youtube and wow. those are loud and clear. it jsut very bulky on a custom.
but i might be able to mount on my crash bar since its pretty loud.
its also the cheapest out of all three choice. but they got the highest output and speaker size. that's a big plus for cheaper price.

i have read some reviews that people have kuryakyn and they don't last long, sound quality like shark that i can get for 100, so I'm kind of disappointed they look so nice but no quality.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just ordered " Rumble Road Ultra Amplified Stereo Speakers - Chrome 191" from phat this morning. 70W continuous; 100W peak, spec looks pretty good to me.
I know its 4" diameter and kind bulky, so I'm mostly not going to mount on handle bar.
I'm going to mount on my freeway bar, still thinking what position but kind have an idea.
maybe flip the fog lights to the top of the bar and put the speaker on the lower of the top bar.

i will post some pic this Thursday when i install it.
wish me luck~

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ride local everyday, so i can enjoy everyday. I do know freeway riding will be a bad choice for music on the motorcycle. But i love music. Lol so i have to have it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it only me who thinks that speakers on the bike are silly? The sound will be bad anyways (considering that urs debaffled) and when I ride the music is the last thing I won't to hear. Just my two cents. ;)
My pipe is not that loud compare to my other bike's cobra slash cut pipe.
Im not going to get any after market pipe for my vulcan.
Since im not getting the pipe, than i dont need power pro and air kit, so i saved about 1200 dollar for all that. The bike run just fine without those add-on.
The speakers will be most likely the final for my bike. Not going to spend any more money on it. Unless its service or maintnence.
Now i can sing with my wife while we are riding, " heres my number, call me maybe" by carly ray japsen. Lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
Is it only me who thinks that speakers on the bike are silly? The sound will be bad anyways (considering that urs debaffled) and when I ride the music is the last thing I want to hear. Just my two cents. ;)
I respectfully disagree :p. After a couple hours on the road I tire of exhaust noise :(. I like some rockin tunes to keep my attitude positive and the wheels rolling down the road :cool:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I respectfully disagree :p. After a couple hours on the road I tire of exhaust noise :(. I like some rockin tunes to keep my attitude positive and the wheels rolling down the road :cool:
that's right brother!! i got sick of the pipe sound after my cobra for a year.
my wife said i have hearing problem. (or am I ) lol
but she is happy that im not spending anymore money on the bike. ( maybe for her ??) lol
happy wife = happy family !!! woo hoo

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Is it only me who thinks that speakers on the bike are silly? The sound will be bad anyways (considering that urs debaffled) and when I ride the music is the last thing I want to hear. Just my two cents. ;)
For a weekend or casual ride I agree. When I'm out in the twisties with friends or exploring new places they are usually off. But once I hit the superslab, or on my normal commutes, it's nice to have.

My bike is my main transportation. I have a car, and it's a good ol' reliable car, but if I don't have a particular reason to take it I don't. If it's raining when I leave, or below freezing, I'm in the car. Otherwise, it's the bike. Wife rides too, including her own. She doesn't commute with hers, but if we go somewhere, she's on the back of mine or on hers. To be honest, the last time we were in a car together in the last couple of months was grocery shopping. That's how-come I've got 20,000 miles on a bike that had 8,000 miles when I bought it 11 months ago yesterday! Riding my commute to work, school, in-laws, etc. It's the same-old same-old ride I've done a million times. A little tunage is nice. Same reason I got a backrest and highway pegs. All ya need is the stock floorboards and an airhawk to enjoy an afternoon ride to a cool new place. It's those boring super-slab drones to work or the long 500+ mile days that all those amenities really are nice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For a weekend or casual ride I agree. When I'm out in the twisties with friends or exploring new places they are usually off. But once I hit the superslab, or on my normal commutes, it's nice to have.

My bike is my main transportation. I have a car, and it's a good ol' reliable car, but if I don't have a particular reason to take it I don't. If it's raining when I leave, or below freezing, I'm in the car. Otherwise, it's the bike. Wife rides too, including her own. She doesn't commute with hers, but if we go somewhere, she's on the back of mine or on hers. To be honest, the last time we were in a car together in the last couple of months was grocery shopping. That's how-come I've got 20,000 miles on a bike that had 8,000 miles when I bought it 11 months ago yesterday! Riding my commute to work, school, in-laws, etc. It's the same-old same-old ride I've done a million times. A little tunage is nice. Same reason I got a backrest and highway pegs. All ya need is the stock floorboards and an airhawk to enjoy an afternoon ride to a cool new place. It's those boring super-slab drones to work or the long 500+ mile days that all those amenities really are nice.
Totaly agree!! amen

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
I tried a couple of the variations and finally went with the Uniq Cycle Classic Edition system. Great decision.

http://www.uniqcycle.com/motorcycle-speakers-systems.html

300 watt amp, 150 watt speakers...so we are looking at around 75 watts continuous coming from the amp and speakers. Awesome sound, very loud at peak volume.

Nice chrome mounting hardware too.

The own downside was that there was no handlebar/remote controls. So I got the Amplirider system.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

It sounds awesome.

Very good sounding and good looking investment. I'll try and snap a few pics to show you the setup.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
those are nice too, but i just want the one built-in amp. same price range too.
You know, I was able to mount a big honkin 600 watt shark amp under the seat. I took a thin piece of wood and put it where the toolbox goes (yes, you'll have to nix the toolbox). I put it far enough back that I can still get to the battery posts. Then I used heavy duty velcro to secure the amp to the wood (did it like that to give it a buffer from the wood that's mounted to the bike, less vibration and heat that way)

Dunno if you are willing to loose the toolbox, but if you are, that's a great place to mount it and opens up the possibilities for sure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
LOL
Btw, my system sounds great even at 60 mph unless it's really windy. Bikes riding near me can hear the music.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
those are nice too, but i just want the one built-in amp. same price range too.
I had thought about that too, highly considered them in fact. The only problem you run into is that the built in amps are not likely to be big enough or loud enough.

What really sold if for me, was the idea that with the external amp, I could install better speakers, or a better amp, or additional devices.

Let us know how those turn out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had thought about that too, highly considered them in fact. The only problem you run into is that the built in amps are not likely to be big enough or loud enough.

What really sold if for me, was the idea that with the external amp, I could install better speakers, or a better amp, or additional devices.

Let us know how those turn out.
Just got the speakers this afternoon at my work, wow, just wow.
they are very organized with packaging and the chrome finish is nothing shark can compare with, user manual are clear and easy to understand, come with everything needed for installation. can't wait till i get off work and install it tonight.
the unit looks and feels very solid, heavy too. guess its the built-in amp.
the clamp that came with is solid metal chrome finish too and its very hard and high quality. Over all their product appearances worth the price i paid.
now just wait for the performance. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts