Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 6300 miles on my 06 vulcan lt right now. do you guys think its time to change out the spark plugs?

·
Registered
976 Posts
They don't cost much BUT what do yours look like. Make sure and give em some antifreeze when you put them back in.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spark plug change

I put 19,000 on my first set and when I replaced them, they looked as good as the first time I checked them at 7,500 miles. I used the NGK stock OEM replacement plugs and am totally happy with them. I know the service manual says to replace the plugs at 7,500 miles but if they are still good and giving you good gas mileage, why change them! If it makes you feel better, carry a spare set with you and if you think you need to change them, you will have a set with you. I recommend reading the plugs at 7,500 mile intervals and replace when you feel the bike is performing like it needs new ones. I.E. reduced fuel mileage, a miss in the engine, back firing or other odd unusual noises or characteristics. I buy the spark plugs at my local O'Reilly's automotive store for around $2.00 each verses the higher dealer price. I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Call me stupid, but what advantage are ya gonna get out of iridium plugs in a 900? Can't say that I've ever used iridium plugs in any vehicle up through this point in my life. What's the scoop guys?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Don't know but they claim better spark for more complete fuel burn for more power and better idle with longer plug life or something like that. Sounds like snake oil to me.

I mean, it's not like it's Seafoam or the likes. By the way, Seafoam was on buy 2 cans get one free last weekend at my O'reily's.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Is it still going on? I know actually Advance Auto had a good price all April I never got any though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
plugs

Having worked in the automotive repair business for the last 15 years, I dont see any benefit in iridium plugs for the vulcan. They were designed for 100k mile intervals on direct coil ignition on auto engines. The o.e. plugs look perfect in my bike after 10k miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts