Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled these plugs.

Your thoughts on the health of the motor base don these plugs?

I know there are other parameters for engine health, but just want a snapshot - based on the colour of these plugs.

Romper

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Plug readings are hard to tell anything from with the modern fuels etc. unless you have obvious aluminum stuck to the plugs or something like that. The picture is hard to get a close look but they seem to be a little dark compared to what recently came out of my bike. How many miles on the plugs and on the bike? A better test of engine health would be an oil sample sent to Blackstone. I sent a sample in and it was like $25 and they emailed me results as well as sent me a hard copy. Here is a link to have a free test kit sent to you and this is well worth the peace of mind. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php Here is the info they sent me back from my sample. This sample was of Amsoil 20w50 full synthetic with a little over 3,000 miles on it. The bike had 11,400 miles on it at the time of this test.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys.

Dirtwiz - great tip - will certainly be buying that kit.

I expected these plugs were new and installed at the 24000km service (by the dealer) - 1200km ago.

I have now got my hands on the NGK IRIDIUM IX Iridium Spark Plugs CPR7EAIX-9 9198 and I have just installed them myself.

Will let you know how they perform...

Romper

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but that report really only says what was in your oil - has no clue of engine "health". This forum cracks me up sometimes the way you guys look for problems - man enjoy these 900's they are bullet proof! Again no offense just me. I love my 900!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but that report really only says what was in your oil - has no clue of engine "health".
Hey - give them a credit card number, and they'll tell YOU that your engine is in great health, too! LOL!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but that report really only says what was in your oil - has no clue of engine "health". This forum cracks me up sometimes the way you guys look for problems - man enjoy these 900's they are bullet proof! Again no offense just me. I love my 900!
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you even know what you're talking about?
You're right, it doesn't give you specifics as to items like the compression in the cylinders or what not. However oil analysis does give a very good insight as to how your engine is wearing, or the condition of the seals, the levels and types of contamination, other fluids that may be present in the oil (systematic of other issues an engine may have) and other things that can point a person in the right direction as to the overall health of the engine.

Also, it gives insight as to how the engine is reacting to whatever oil the person put in it.

But alas, the sparkplugs look great, that's exactly how they should look.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Without being able to see the plug points very well they seem ok. The iridiums won't make any difference apart from lenth between replacement. I use them myself however.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you even know what you're talking about?
You're right, it doesn't give you specifics as to items like the compression in the cylinders or what not. However oil analysis does give a very good insight as to how your engine is wearing, or the condition of the seals, the levels and types of contamination, other fluids that may be present in the oil (systematic of other issues an engine may have) and other things that can point a person in the right direction as to the overall health of the engine.

Also, it gives insight as to how the engine is reacting to whatever oil the person put in it.

But alas, the sparkplugs look great, that's exactly how they should look.
Thanks GrahamM ...I agree with this post but most of the info I was looking for was regarding how the oil was holding up. I wanted to know that I could extend the oil change intervals to between 4,000 miles and up to 5,000 miles. They were confident I could so it gives me peace of mind when its 105 degrees and I have over 4,000 miles on my oil. There are a lot of people that do oil samples just to know that they don't have failures of bearings or aluminum parts that can be easily detected with these tests. I personally like knowing whats going on inside my motor when I run the pi$$ out of it for over 300 mile days in temperatures over 100. Maybe it's just me

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I personally like knowing whats going on inside my motor when I run the pi$$ out of it for over 300 mile days in temperatures over 100. Maybe it's just me....
Dead right! You like to monitor the health of your motor...

ROmper

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dirtwiz - great tip - will certainly be buying that kit.
Except they are in the US and you need to send them an oil sample back. There's got to be a similar aussie based service.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ALS (Aust Lab. Services) will perform this function in Australia.

ALS are used by ERA (in NT where I use to work/live ) for ongoing monitoring of gearbox, pump and engine health on a monthly basis.

Romper

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi sfair,

I suspect you know a great deal about oil samples and the different trace metals that are tested.

I guess I need to ask why have you honed in on just copper and not the other trace elements found in typical oil analyses (which provide a better overview of the analysis).

Slight rises in Cu from oil samples may not be due to abnormal wear but generally call for a 'wait and see' approach with no immediate action required - perhaps an oil change - with some possible causes:

- potential bearing wear
- leaching of oil cooler leaching into engine oil
- use of oil with anti-scuffing agents
- new engine break-in
- very inactive engines (leaving oil and condensation water on parts for a long time, due to the inactivity, not burning the water out, resulting in super fine copper in the oil filter)
- Common presence of Cu in fluids with a copper heat exchanger
- High mileage between oil changes

Romper

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
My point is that if you see a change in the analysis and are not prepared to do a teardown to examine the cause, and rectify, then I view it as an unnecessary concern and a waste of time and money. Save the case split for when it is burning oil or knocking.

Too many other things in life to spend one's precious worry time on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My point is that if you see a change in the analysis and are not prepared to do a teardown to examine the cause, and rectify, then I view it as an unnecessary concern and a waste of time and money. Save the case split for when it is burning oil or knocking.

Too many other things in life to spend one's precious worry time on.
I get what you are saying but my Classic has 30,000 miles on it now and I am considering doing another oil sample test on it before I sell it which I think will be at the 50,000 mile mark. I think a buyer who sees a decent test result would feel a little better about buying a bike with those kind of miles and it should bring an extra $50 at least which would offset the cost. If I keep it past 50,000 miles I have my money out of it anyway so would just ride it until it knocks like you say. $25 is a cheap "feel good" thing in my opinion so worth it to me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
But if there are some anomalies, will you still "feel good"?
Do you pay a doctor for an annual physical or do you skip it in fear they will find a medical problem for you to deal with? LOL. Thanks for all your input sfair....it's helpful to everyone and I always appreciate it.... but no, I would not feel good if anomalies were found, but at least I would know if I should take my bike on my annual 3,000 mile ride and know it may be time to consider trading it in on something else before it fails.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts