Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is a service recommendation for changing out the plug wires? I've changed the plugs at the recommended intervals,(12,000 miles, I believe) but don't remember seeing anything in the wires...... Are they an easy change out or are they part of a coil pak that has to be changed at the same time.. I'm looking at my 32,000 valve check, at that would be the time to make the change if needed....Thanks in advance for your assistance......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looking at the Kaw service Manuel at the periodic maintenance table under replacement parts there is no mention of plug wires. As far a valve clearance my Kaw owners manual says 26kmiles while the service manual says says 15kmiles for US & CA. I would like to know what our fellow 9 owners are doing as far a valve clearance adjustment intervals?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have checked on ordering just the plug wires. You can order the boot ends separately, but in order to get the wires/boots you have to order the coil packs...they come as a complete package deal.mdsimon80,as far as the valve clearance I had my mechanic check mine for the first time at 31,000 miles and he said very little shimming was needed only .002 on front intake, and .001 on rear intake

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The valve job seems to vary. Some do it to a tee according to the manual, some put 100,000 miles on the bike without touching it, others wait for it to make a noise. Still others have never heard of needing a valve adjustment!

As for me, I try to stick with the manual. Although from what I've been reading, it seems like the first clearance adjustments (15k I believe) are the most drastic. So, if I were gonna skip 'em, I'd skip AFTER the first one, in other words, I would recommend thinking about doing it / getting it done at 15k miles.

It's one of those things that you could never do for the life of your bike and never have a problem. OR, you could put 35,000 miles on it without doing it and end up with an expensive top end job. Depends on which you feel like you've got better odds for I guess! LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts