Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. While testing for spark, I noticed (luckily!) both spark plug wires jumped a spark to ground! Both caps had a small cut in the same place (across from the inside metal plug cap, I'm sure from bending all the time to get the cap in the hole). This could be why I was only getting weak orange sparks. Thoughts? (This could be what fried the CI Igniter.)

2. I went to order new plug caps, so I was going to order the wire too, but I'm not seeing them in any of the diagrams or parts list. Am I missing them, or do I just go to a parts house and get a random length of wire and make my own? NOTE: The PO put an aftermarket wire on one of the plugs (7mm) and it is too small; easily pulls out, and the cap on the coil that keeps it tight is useless because the diameter of the wire is too small. I bought an 8mm plug wire at parts house but it is too big. Seems I need a 7.5mm, which brings me back to: I can't find the wires anywhere in the diagrams. Do the wires come with the plug cap, maybe? Parts diagram shows the wire, but no part number.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. Parts house has a 7mm (too small) and an 8mm (too big). The OEM one on the other cylinder fits nicely.

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Modern wire at auto stores has built in resistance/suppression and won’t work. Go to a hotrod, vintage or high performance shop and get copper core wire. Comes in bulk and they can cut off what you need for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
my spark plug cap broke when removing the front, i pulled at the wrong place and it broke off, so next time i need to remove the spark plug cap i am going to be more gentle near the elbow where it can snap off

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know if there are any aftermarket spark plug boots out there? I can't find any except the expensive OEM ones. I have cuts in both; I have them reinforced by wrapping with electrical tape for now. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts