Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. At what point do you change/replace your spark plugs? I've got 11k on my vulcan 1700. Do you replace them with OEM or have you found a better replacement? What is the gap on the plugs, if different? :confused:

Magnum

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
The heading of your posts asks bout plugs for the 17000, I can't comment on that model (is it a martian model)...LOL.

The 1700's have a damn fine spark plug, both in design and materials used. It is of the "projected tip" design which in my testing offers advantages over non projected tip plugs. It also utilizes Iridium for the center electrode, Iridium is a very hard material and NOT subject to electrode erosion like copper or platinum plugs. The plug is quite an unusual plug in that it is a 1" reach, 99% of skoots are 3/4" reach.

You WILL NOT find a better plug due to all of the above mentioned aspects.

Also, refer to the maintenance section in your owner's manual, it has LOTS of basic info and Kawi suggests replacing the plugs at 30,000 miles. I have seen plugs with as much as 23,000 mls and they were in no way anywhere near needing replacement. Forget about them until then.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spark plug replacement

The heading of your posts asks bout plugs for the 17000, I can't comment on that model (is it a martian model)...LOL.

The 1700's have a damn fine spark plug, both in design and materials used. It is of the "projected tip" design which in my testing offers advantages over non projected tip plugs. It also utilizes Iridium for the center electrode, Iridium is a very hard material and NOT subject to electrode erosion like copper or platinum plugs. The plug is quite an unusual plug in that it is a 1" reach, 99% of skoots are 3/4" reach.

You WILL NOT find a better plug due to all of the above mentioned aspects.

Also, refer to the maintenance section in your owner's manual, it has LOTS of basic info and Kawi suggests replacing the plugs at 30,000 miles. I have seen plugs with as much as 23,000 mls and they were in no way anywhere near needing replacement. Forget about them until then.

RACNRAY
Nuff said! .......I'm good to go for a while. Thanks much for the expertise regarding the plugs. I'm headed on a road trip to Alaska next June 2015. Just wanted some input from members regarding plugs.

Thanks, Magnum

·
Registered
226 Posts
I replace my plugs every 100,000 kms (62k miles) and feel like an idiot when doing it because the old ones don't look any different than the new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I replace my plugs every 100,000 kms (62k miles) and feel like an idiot when doing it because the old ones don't look any different than the new ones.
LOL...I was gonna double up on the mileage interval to check on the plugs in the skoot now. These really are VERY GOOD plugs in the skoots.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
122 Posts
mfr's using good materials...
on an aside, bought a 1999 F150 in 2006 with 200,000 kms and original autocraft plugs.
replaced them with NGK's that lasted maybe 100,000 kms. went back to OEM from dealer, no more $ than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts