Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I want to change front fork oil and spark plugs (Vaquero, 2012, 10.500 miles), and have two questions please :

1. Fork oil.
Service Manual says to use as fork oil, SHOWA SS-8 or equivalent. Where I live (Romania), this oil is not so comun and I want to use an equivalent. What viscosity has this oil ? Is it 10W the equivalent....

2. Spark Plugs.
Manual state NGK ILZKAR7B11. The problem is that these spark plugs are very expensive (at least for me, in my area). The manual doesn't say nothing about equivalent. What spark plugs are you guys using ? I

Many thanks
Marcel

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
As to fork oil, there is no standard number for viscosity comparison like there is for engine oil. Here is a link to a general comparison chart: https://transmoto.com.au/Comparative-Oil-Weights-Table/ (there are some other similar charts that may have a brand you can find that is not listed on this link - Google "fork oil comparison chart"). If you want a weight similar to Showa SS-8, look for an oil with a viscosity around 36 in the 3rd column.

If you want to stiffen up the front end a bit, use a higher weight oil. I used Maxima 15W and really like how the front end feels now. Used the same oil on another bike (Honda Sabre 1100 that also came with Showa SS-8 from the mfg) with the same results. Lots of folks find that a heavier oil gives a much better ride. If you can find Maxima fork oil, be sure to use the regular and not the racing fork oil. They are very different.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Unless you're having trouble with the spark plugs, they shouldn't need replacing. They're very expensive plugs because they're iridium models, and will generally outlast the bike. So, most of us are still using the plugs that came with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,

I will not change the plugs then and will check the charts for the oil viscosity.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The iridium plugs used in the 1700 are good for 50,000 MILES and more. I ran a set for 50k, pulled them out, found the gap was the same as when I put them in. You have a long way to go on those plugs.

The SS8 is equivalent to a 7.5 weight oil, and has been mentioned an increase in viscosity is beneficial to a 15 or 20 weight.

RACNRAY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts