Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one pulled a spark plug on the 1700? I have, Kawi has made a special plug for this engine you need a 14 millimeter spark plug socket I have not been able to locate a 14mm spark plug socket so I used a regular metric deep socket. My question to you gents south of me did Kawi make a SAE plug for the bikes sold in the USA? Why did they not use a 5/8in socket its the same as a 16mm socket

·
Registered
287 Posts
So far I have discovered that my dealer doesn't keep the plugs on hand, and they are approximately $20 a piece! I contacted my local O'Reilly's, who crossed referenced it, and I have two coming in for $12 a piece. Haven't tried pulling one yet, good info about the 14 mm socket.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Has any one pulled a spark plug on the 1700? I have, Kawi has made a special plug for this engine you need a 14 millimeter spark plug socket I have not been able to locate a 14mm spark plug socket so I used a regular metric deep socket. My question to you gents south of me did Kawi make a SAE plug for the bikes sold in the USA? Why did they not use a 5/8in socket its the same as a 16mm socket
I already had a 14mm deep socket so I just put a piece of rubber in it to hold the plug and pull it out. I got my plugs from here:
http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=+ILZKAR7B11&x=54&y=12

·
Registered
765 Posts
How many miles do you have on your bikes that you're changing out the spark plug already ? I thought the Iridium's were designed to last ~100K miles ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought my 2010 in March and have 9,000 on it as of Aug. The reason I started researching this is because I like to have the usual replacement parts on hand when I start working on a bike i.e.; changing a tire if the brakes are getting close then you can change the brake pads out at the same time as opposed to stopping what your doing, going and getting the part, or having to put everything back together for another day. The spark thing came up for me when I had to pull the tank to install Engine Ice. Wbilotta, I don't know about the 100K thing. The service manual calls for inspection every 12,000 mi, and replacement every 30,000 mi's.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
How many miles do you have on your bikes that you're changing out the spark plug already ? I thought the Iridium's were designed to last ~100K miles ?
I just have the two plugs on hand in case I need them during this tune up stage. A few days ago I noticed the plugs were starting to foul out a little because of being to rich. They wouldn't clean up with break cleaner so I had to put them back in. That's when I ordered new ones.I have adjusted since then and plugs have cleared up. So the new ones sit on the shelf for now.:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
a magnet in no way interferes with the working order of a spark plug, use your reg 14 mm socket, then a pen magnet to pull and insert the plug

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 46,000 km on my 1700 Voyager, the shop manual says to change plugs at 48,000 km. I have two on hand also $22.95 each plus 10% tax

1 - 10 of 10 Posts