Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a spare key for my 900, I went to both Home Depot and Lowes, and neither of them have blanks for it to cut, the guy at Lowes said I'd probably have to get a blank from a dealer. Any idea if this is true, or he was just telling me what he thought might be right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go to a local locksmith, they have blanks for practically everything. I have had multiple copies made for both the Nomad and the Voyager. Cost is about $3.00 plus a bit for the grind.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Locksmith is your best option , I had two spares made for under six dollars , the locksmith didn't have Kawasaki blanks per se but he used Toyota blanks that worked fine the only notable difference is the key head which is different

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have seen quite a few posts on using non-Kawasaki blanks. I tried both Ace hardware and a local locksmith. Neither of the keys they made would work so I ended up ordering two blanks from Partzilla. They were more expensive but I think they look better anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got this from Amazon for the Vulcan s

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4BQL2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is a hardware store near me that keeps motorcycle blanks and can cut them with only the number.
Supposedly that's the best way to have a key made. No residual metal shavings. The problem is finding the key code. On a new bike the dealer gives you a little tag with the code on it but try finding it on an older bike. I believe you have to remove the ignition and check on the bottom for the number.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Supposedly that's the best way to have a key made. No residual metal shavings. The problem is finding the key code. On a new bike the dealer gives you a little tag with the code on it but try finding it on an older bike. I believe you have to remove the ignition and check on the bottom for the number.
They took that little tag that came with my 06 Vulcan Nomad, went to their computer and looked at something then made the keys. Both worked OK and didn't cost a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
key

I want to get a spare key for my 900, I went to both Home Depot and Lowes, and neither of them have blanks for it to cut, the guy at Lowes said I'd probably have to get a blank from a dealer. Any idea if this is true, or he was just telling me what he thought might be right?
I tried to have a key made for my 650 Vulcan. It would only work to unlock the gas tank. i think the orginal has a chip in it for the ignition.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried to have a key made for my 650 Vulcan. It would only work to unlock the gas tank. i think the orginal has a chip in it for the ignition.
I had that happen with my Vulcan S but it turned out the key blank was wrong. I have attached a pdf for motorcycle keys but this is for the 900 - KW15BP-SI

Darn it. The file is too large

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello all , I took a look at the link longbeachgary posted , just to see what the keys looked liked and guess what , the ilco blanks that appear on the photo are exactly the same ones that the locksmith sold to me and they are supposed to be for toyota cars , go figure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I too went to all the mass marketers Ace, True Value, Walmart, etc. I finally went to a lock smith he did not have the exact same blank but he said he could make it work. Ten minuets later I had a working spar key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got 2 cut the other day. Went to a locksmith, he looked at it and knew right away what blank to use.
He cut me 2, double-sided. Said they're guaranteed to work, but also said with those keys they sometimes don't get cut deep enough...said he was pretty sure they'd work, but if not, he asked me to come back with the bike so he could make them work.
Tried them when I got home, both keys work A-1, both cut sides, in all the locks. 2007 900 Classic LT
ILCO blank marked X277 to the left of the ring hole, marked YM64 on the right side.

Hope that helps....

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I went to a locksmith and no luck. I went to my local dealer and got 3 extra keys for like 4 or 5 bucks a piece.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts