Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellow riders,

I only have one key for my Vulcan at the moment, and was curious as to how I would go about making a spare key - which Kawasaki dealership can I call?

Thank you!
Ryan

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Howdy fellow riders, I only have one key for my Vulcan at the moment, and was curious as to how I would go about making a spare key - which Kawasaki dealership can I call? Thank you! Ryan
rb,, if you have an original, you may be able to order one thru any kaw dealer. its a hassle and expense.
here in austin, tx we have a master key & lock shop, Cothrans.. they have blanks for almost every kind of key on the planet. I get extras of all my keys and keep originals in my fire safe w/titles, etc. They are very reasonable $5 non chipped keys, computer copied. Cothrans even has all domestic and most foreign chipped keys. I think I paid $25-35bux for a spare truk key.
Especially when traveling, I keep a spare key stowed discretely.. even I cant find it? magbox inside headlight housings, under seats, etc. somewhere you mite have to unbolt or unscrew to find. its for emergency only.
I once shipped a bike to Cali. sent 1 key to the new owner with documents and told him I taped the spare key inside the tail light just incase he lost his or forgot to bring it when he picked up his bike at the truck dock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rb,, if you have an original, you may be able to order one thru any kaw dealer. its a hassle and expense.
here in austin, tx we have a master key & lock shop, Cothrans.. they have blanks for almost every kind of key on the planet. I get extras of all my keys and keep originals in my fire safe w/titles, etc. They are very reasonable $5 non chipped keys, computer copied. Cothrans even has all domestic and most foreign chipped keys. I think I paid $25-35bux for a spare truk key.
Especially when traveling, I keep a spare key stowed discretely.. even I cant find it? magbox inside headlight housings, under seats, etc. somewhere you mite have to unbolt or unscrew to find. its for emergency only.
I once shipped a bike to Cali. sent 1 key to the new owner with documents and told him I taped the spare key inside the tail light just incase he lost his or forgot to bring it when he picked up his bike at the truck dock.
Agreed - I find having a spare key very helpful and I carry one in my wallet all the time. I originally had two keys for my vulcan, one got ran over, so I'm using my spare key which was in my wallet :) Now I need another spare! haha

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Agreed - I find having a spare key very helpful and I carry one in my wallet all the time. I originally had two keys for my vulcan, one got ran over, so I'm using my spare key which was in my wallet :) Now I need another spare! haha
rb while yor gettin one, get two an put the original up for safe keeping.
I make copies of keys for all fambly cars an such because often enuff somebody (kids n ladies) lose one and needs a rescue. Plus then I can copy agin and save a whole lotta moola. poncho

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Especially when traveling, I keep a spare key stowed discretely.. even I cant find it?
same here .... behind the backrest plate ... cause some body always has a crappy set of plyers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just rode to the local locksmith and told him I wanted the key copied. Walked out with two new keys in about 10 minutes. No problem

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
I go to the Lone Star Rally ever year (it's like 15 minutes from where I live).

There is always a booth there where they make motorcycle keys.

I had a couple spares done a few years ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for all of your responses! I ended up going to a local locksmith and got two spare keys for an easy $10.

That eBay site would be great for people who have lost their keys completely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
spare key

The 900 has two keys.One works the ignition and the seat release.The other is for the gas cap.Can the make one key to fit all of them.Can they make the gas cap so it uses the one for the seat and ignition??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts