Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here carry a "spare" on the bike? If so, where? I only have the one in the ignition. It occurred to me the other day, if I'm out riding and lose it, I'm in deep du-du. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a spare that I leave at home. I don't ride to far from home anyway. Would only need to face the scorn of the Mrs. if I loose the first key :D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
spare key, where o where for there art thou?

Traveling. lost yor key? best not be calling the missus. no street cred ther. hmm.

spare key? put it in yor pocket? chances are you will lose it b4 you lose the reglar key. hmm.

put it in with your gear? what if you need the key to get the gear? hmm

get one them magnet boxes and find a secure place to stash it. wher anybody looking for a spare key will find it.. hmm.

I use to travel with a buddy. we would give each other our spare key and put it on the ring with our own reglar key.. not just in a pocket or with the gear. that way if you loose yor key, your buddy has yor spare. If he loses his, you got it covered. downside is that if either loses a key, they also lost the others back up. hmm, so far none of these scenarios ever happened.

the only more better solution is buy an Injun with a keyless system. you can carry a 3ft proximatey key fob in yor pocket or use a 4 digit security code. yes it will unlock yor lectric bag lox 2oo.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I shipped motorcycles. I put the / a spare key taped securely inside the headlight bucket. That way if somehow the regular key gets misplaced or lost there is always a backup at hand. May take a screw driver to access it. Screwdrivers can be found everywhere.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I shipped motorcycles. I put the / a spare key taped securely inside the headlight bucket. That way if somehow the regular key gets misplaced or lost there is always a backup at hand. May take a screw driver to access it. Screwdrivers can be found everywhere.
Great idea. Never thought of that...Lots of places under the seat as well.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Carry spare key in one of my pouches on the fairing,glad I do,lost key once,did find it but glad I have a spare

·
Registered
297 Posts
When son and i are at sturgis he carries a spair for my bike and I carry a spair for his. We both keep them in the factory tool pouch under the seats so there secure. I also carry a spair for my bike in my billfold if he's not around. Never needed them but have found over the years the problems your prepared for are not the ones that happen.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My 'spare key' story is a bit different. I have carried a spare key in the tool bag for several years because being a thousand miles from home without a key would be quite an inconvenience.

Earlier this year my son and I rode to a skating rink for a birthday party for one of his schoolmates. During this party he promptly fell and broke his arm necessitating us taking a ride in a car to the hospital. The hospital visit was quite lengthy so I called a friend to pick up Hidalgo and take her to his house for safe keeping. Since the main key was in my pocket I directed him to the spare key.

You never know when, or how, you'll need that spare key.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You need a key to unlock the seat. :eek:
Good point...Some bikes do require that. None of my three bikes require it.
They open with just a wrench (carried in tool bag) to remove the bolt behind the passenger pillion and then the seat pops right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts