Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone might have ideas for me. I'm looking for a way to carry spare fuel on my 2005 500. I will need 1.5 gallons to bridge the gap between gas stations on a Colorado cross country trip. I do have small saddlebags and a sissy bar bag. Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hoping someone might have ideas for me. I'm looking for a way to carry spare fuel on my 2005 500. I will need 1.5 gallons to bridge the gap between gas stations on a Colorado cross country trip. I do have small saddlebags and a sissy bar bag. Thanks!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Primus-Gasoline-Motorcycle-Bottle-Emergency/dp/B01KM0UT4Y[/ame]

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Of course there are many ways to do this. I decided that I didn't want to shell out good money for something that I essentially already had sitting around in my garage. I use empty SeaFoam containers. They're metal and each hold right about a quart.

I've used enough SeaFoam over the years for both "maintenance" of the bike's systems, and the truck and cars, and projects, so that I've got empty cans sitting there waiting to be re-purposed.

I put a red strip of tape around them so as to mark them filled with gas and wrap one small strip of tape around the top. I've never had a single drop spill or leak.

If you've got small bags they'll take up a lot of room. Here's a suggestion. Go to e-bay and look up ATV luggage. Somewhere in there you'll find this gas tank throw-over bag (see the black bag on the fuel tank in my pic). It may not fit your bike perfectly but if you put a magnetic tank bag on top of it, or even JUST serious magnets alone, it'll stay in place. It'll allow you to carry quite a bit of extra weight forward between the wheels instead of rearward.

I only use it (in fact I haven't even used it YET for this purpose) for the actual travelling , not for in town running around. But when you're on the road it offers you lots more places to put maybe 10 to 12 lbs of stuff.

The thing cost less than $15.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Those Seafoam cans are quite handy for this type of situation. If you want something removable, or even disposable, those are the way I would go. The idea was suggested to me by VN750Guy, who's already responded here, but since then I have found tons more uses for them. I use them for my mix gas for lawn equipment, and have found the fuel stays fresher longer (I mix in a 1 or 2 gallon can and then transfer to Seafoam cans). Now when I go to the Mother-In-Law's house, I no longer have to wonder how old that mix gas is in her garage, or any of those other typical concerns.

I usually ride with a backpack on and a small pouch strapped across the rear seating area. The pouch I use is a modified toiletries travel bag from wally world that was maybe $5. It is the perfect size to hold 4 Seafoam cans nice and neat. It's not exactly waterproof, but for the cans, it's not an issue.

Aside from those, there are a ton of smaller plastic fuel cans available on eBay, Amazon, etc. Many even come with mounting brackets and such. In a 15 second search on eBay (Keyword "gas can" in motorcycle parts), I saw sizes ranging from 3 liter to 5 gallon, and even a couple specifically shaped to fit Harley saddlebags...

The options are out there, just please be safe with it. I had a friend who swore it was safe to carry fuel in 2 liter soda bottles because "the gas doesn't eat that plastic." He was right, but wrong... The gas didn't eat the plastic, but whatever poked a hole in the bottle, or maybe a cap came off, or any of many other possibilities, he ended up with a massive fire in his trunk one day while driving down the road. Thankfully he was okay, but the car wasn't. We'll never know exactly what happened, but it definitely started in his trunk. Again, please be safe in your choices.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DKC I am happy that you're getting good use with the cans. I'm glad to have been of service!

Just note: I always carry mine vertically. That's probably too much concern because they'll obviously carry alright horizontally, too.

You're right about them even being disposable since I always have a new can available (once it is empty).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I usually ride with a backpack on and a small pouch strapped across the rear seating area. The pouch I use is a modified toiletries travel bag from wally world that was maybe $5. It is the perfect size to hold 4 Seafoam cans nice and neat. It's not exactly waterproof, but for the cans, it's not an issue.
The Seafoam cans are a great idea for shorter distances but for him they are only 16oz, he'd need 10 of them.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Only 6 for the 1.5 gallons he needed. And, of course, this many SeaFoam cans may not be do-able if he's going any time soon. It takes a while to generate that many cans. But I use SeaFoam in just about every internal combustion engine I have. I recently used a smidgeon to get my pressure washer going since it'd been sitting for a while. It even works well just before an oil change, too.

I suppose gnissen, you could see if you have any buddies with empty cans to use. Even a half gallon may get you another 20 -25 miles down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any issues with large elevation gains/losses with the non vented sea foam cans or anything non vented in general?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Only 6 for the 1.5 gallons he needed. And, of course, this many SeaFoam cans may not be do-able if he's going any time soon. It takes a while to generate that many cans. But I use SeaFoam in just about every internal combustion engine I have. I recently used a smidgeon to get my pressure washer going since it'd been sitting for a while. It even works well just before an oil change, too.

I suppose gnissen, you could see if you have any buddies with empty cans to use. Even a half gallon may get you another 20 -25 miles down the road.
We were both wrong. 2 pints (16*2=32) equals a quart - 4 quarts (32*4=128) equals a gallon. Twelve pints equals 1.5 gallons (128+64=192 oz).

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wow. I guess you're right. I've been planning on carrying 6 of the 16oz containers of gas which means when I "thought" I had a gallon, I actually only had 3/4 of a gallon. Still, the containers do work.

And I can put 4 of them in each side of the ATV bag I use for that purpose. I've only fitted 3 to a side. Luckily I have more empty SeaFoam cans available.

As for gnissen's case, he'd need 12 SeaFoam containers for 1.5 gallons. Might want to look into an alternate container.

Learn something every day I suppose! :)

As to the question of the SeaFoam containers venting: So far I've only had them once along with me on a run across the mountains from western Washington to eastern Washington. Didn't have an issue. Not even fumes. I know where the gas stations are along my path to the places I normally ride and when I go on a trip and have chosen my route, I always research each of the towns along the way to see what gas is available in each place.

Still, I like having extra fuel with me just in case.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The IronButt Rally starts this Monday in South Carolina. Take a look at some of the more exotic 'Spare Fuel' setups on these bikes: https://hobartphoto.zenfolio.com/p387264174

You are allowed 'only' 11.5 gallons on-board.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
If you have a sturdy sissy bar rack, you can mount a 2 - 3 gallon Rotopax lying flat on it and still be able to put some luggage on top of that. Don't try if you have a flimsy rack, though. I traveled many miles on a Honda Sabre with a Rotopax mounted this way. It also does not take up any saddlebag space like all those pint bottles would.

I tried to find a picture of how I had it mounted, but I couldn't find one.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Ouch - $24/gallon!
Yeah, and I think they come with a seal which has to be broken to use the gas. Not refillable unless you want to risk the cans leaking in your saddlebags. I use the ones that are premixed with oil for 2-stroke engines. It is more stable then mixing your own, so you don't have to use it all up in a short time. Otherwise, it would not be worth the outrageous price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My point was to reuse them as they are designed to hold fuel. If the seal breaks when you open it, then it's a no go. Wouldn't be a bad way to have a quart of emergency fuel, however.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go to a good camp shop lots of bottles with seals to hold petrol for primus stoves, people have used them on big rock climbs/mountains for years, they get mush worse treatment in a haul bag than they will ever see on a bike,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts