Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well... I completed my 3200 mile trip through the Southwest last week and I'm already chomping to go on another ride! I thought I would post a few pics of the trip.

I had two old friends come out to Wichita from NC where I grew up to join me for the trip. We started out heading for Amarillo, TX o day one, but didn't feel it necessary to take pics of the flat no-man's land. Funny thing was my two buddies from NC were snapping pictures the whole way there as they had never seen such wide open countryside.

From Amarillo we headed down to Roswell, NM and then toured Carlsbad Caverns before settling down in Artesia, NM for the evening.

From Artesia, we headed to Silver City, NM. Lincoln National Forest was a nice ride and I was surprised out how much of a swing it was in temperature from the hills down to the desert floor. We got to try out the rain gear at the top of the mountain as there were showers for about 15 miles or so. I also got my first taste of a dust storm between Las Cruces and Deming!

From Silver City, we headed up to Alpine, AZ and then back down Route 666 (US 191) and stayed in Safford, AZ for the night. Over 1000 curves along the southbound route from Alpine and it was a great ride!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Safford, we road west to Tombstone to see all the touristy crap. Actually it was pretty cool as tourist traps go. I enjoyed the history lesson. We left Tombstone and traveled through Sierra Vista, the back country route to Tucson, AZ.

From Tucson, we headed up through Tonto National Forest, up through Sedona, AZ and on to Flagstaff, AZ. Sedona is quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Flagstaff it was up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon!

We next headed up to Durango, CO and a ride up the Million Dollar Highway. Sorry... Not many pictures on this leg. I was having too much fun on the ride to stop!

From Durango, we headed Southeast to Taos, NM. Riding in the Taos area was more fun than I had thought it would be. They have great mountain roads in the area, some of which reach over 10,000 feet in elevation.

From Taos we took the long haul back to Wichita. 500 miles of absolutely nothing. Over-all the trip was great. We had great weather with just 100 miles of wind and dust between Las Cruces and Silver City and about 200 hundred miles of wind and unseasonably cold weather from Liberal, KS to Wichita, KS.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread before. Great pictures and it sounds like a fun trip! The pictures are beautiful and the bike looks good, too. I've been to some of those places and think that the ride from Sedona to Flagstaff is, so far, my all time favorite.

I also like the "NC" on your trunk. Even though I'm a die hard Auburn fan, I lived in eastern NC for nine years and loved it there. Thanks for the report and pictures.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Great report!

Your pictures are fantastic. Beautifully framed.

Love the write up!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sedona is nice. Got to ride up there from Phoenix by way of Prescott and Mingus Pass. Did you make it over toward Jerome? That's a pretty neat place too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sedona is nice. Got to ride up there from Phoenix by way of Prescott and Mingus Pass. Did you make it over toward Jerome? That's a pretty neat place too.
I didn't get over towards Jerome. I fully intended to go over to the Cottonwood area and then head north. Somehow I got turned around when I got to the Interstate and ended up running up I-17 to SR 179. Not paying attention there cost me some good roads and sights I'm sure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
492 Posts
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them and your story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts