Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and a friend will be taking a nice bike ride across the Southwest this Spring.

I just loaded the entire trip into Garmin BaseCamp and then transferred it to my GPS. This gave me the distance and time between each point. Here's the breakdown of the entire trip.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/522738

Monday, May 13, 2013
Home to Amarillo, TX
372 Miles - 5 hours 55 minutes
Stay at the Big Texas Inn

Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Amarillo, TX to Roswell, NM
218 Miles - 3 hours 30 minutes
Short trip allows for seeing sites in Roswell, then ride down to Carlsbad, NM to see the caverns. Will stay in Roswell, Artesia or Carlsbad for the evening.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Roswell, NM to Deming, NM
277 Miles - 4 hours 45 minutes
I chose Deming to stop for the day because it breaks up the long trek from Roswell to Tombstone. Also allows for Devil's Highway route the next day. This route includes the scenic run through Lincoln National Forest.

Thursday, May 16, 2013
Deming, NM to Safford, NM
311 Miles - 6 hours 45 minutes
This ride includes the loop around the Devil's Highway - Route 666! 1100+ curves in 95 miles!

Friday, May 17, 2013
Safford, NM to Tombstone, AZ - then on to Tucson, AZ
Safford to Tombstone, 107 Miles - 1 hour 40 minutes / Tombstone to Tucson, 94 Miles - 1 hour 45 minutes
The short route times on this leg allow for plenty of time to explore Tombstone before heading on to Tucson for the night. If time permits, the route to Tucson may be extended to include the Sierra Vista area.

Saturday, May 18, 2013
Tucson, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ
308 Miles - 5 hours 55 minutes
This route goes through Tonto National Forest and the Sedona Valley area.

Sunday, May 19, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ to Grand Canyon National Park (Loop back to Flagstaff for the night)
183 Miles - 3 hours 10 minutes
The short route allows for lots of time to explore the Grand Canyon Area. May head up US 89 and down SR 67 to the north ridge of the canyon

Monday, May 20, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ to Durango, CO
311 Miles - 4 hours 40 minutes
Ride around the Durango area and stay there for the night.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Durango, CO to Taos, NM
201 Miles - 3 hours 40 minutes
Ride the Taos area and check out the canyons, mountains and the Earthships!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Taos, NM to Wichita, KS
513 Miles - 8 hours 25 minutes
The longest single day ride of the whole thing.

Well there you go... That's a pretty healthy trip. Just under 3000 miles total. All of the travel days are kept around 300 miles or less except the first and last day. That allows for a lot of time to stop and take it all in.

If there are any locals to the area that see something missing that shouldn't be, please let me know. I want to take in all the great sights the are has to offer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts