Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some of my northern friends would get a kick out what happens down here when snow and ice hit mid day and the weather man misses the forecast. My wife made it up this hill about 45 minutes before all this happened. She was one of the last to make it up and people started parking on the sides. The two trucks you see sideways in the road were parked on the side until someone almost made it to the top, slid back down and piled every thing up.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I love it. I can even see several 4x4 trucks and SUVs in the pic. Wonder if they got scared or everyone else had it blocked off and had to park them out. I love driving in stuff like that, that is when you hit the empty Lowes parking lot and do doughnuts and have fun. Or at least that is what we done (and I still do from time to time). How else you supposed to learn how?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that looks like snow on the road but it is solid ice. The f250 was a kids truck that had almost bald tires on it. All of this happened between 2 and 4 pm yesterday.

The parking lot training and fun are good ideas but they were all full of vehicles last night at 9pm when I came in from work. The local Home Depot's, Lowes, and many others were open as shelters because there were ( and I am guessing here but I'd bet I'm close) about 100,000 stranded vehicles around the Birmingham area including interstates and surface streets.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Block off the road with chains and charge for parking.......
That is Bristol residents mentality during race week. At $5 per car you can make some $$$ there.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I know that looks like snow on the road but it is solid ice. The f250 was a kids truck that had almost bald tires on it. All of this happened between 2 and 4 pm yesterday.

The parking lot training and fun are good ideas but they were all full of vehicles last night at 9pm when I came in from work. The local Home Depot's, Lowes, and many others were open as shelters because there were ( and I am guessing here but I'd bet I'm close) about 100,000 stranded vehicles around the Birmingham area including interstates and surface streets.
I know it is a bigger deal to you all because you are not prepared for it. Here and in a lot of other places they are out spreading salt and gravel before any weather like that hits. Always money in VDOT budget for that. I keep a set of chains in my tool box and a set to pull people out of the ditch with too. And a lot of people run studded tires on their cars, but you can only do that between November and May, I believe.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it is a bigger deal to you all because you are not prepared for it. Here and in a lot of other places they are out spreading salt and gravel before any weather like that hits. Always money in VDOT budget for that. I keep a set of chains in my tool box and a set to pull people out of the ditch with too. And a lot of people run studded tires on their cars, but you can only do that between November and May, I believe.
I had no problem in my 4wd and usually if something like this is forecast they do salt, sand and gravel but the forecast was for a light dusting and no accumulation. By the time the seriousness of the situation was realized there were to many wrecks for the trucks to move. Just got back from retrieving my son and daughters vehicles. They also could have made it to their destinations but the stopped traffic forced them to pull off park and walk. They were both lucky, my son walked about a mile and half to his home and my daughter walked about a half mile to a friends home and spent the night

·
Registered
27 Posts
Atl had 940 accidents yesterday 28 Jan 2014. No one should have been out. Good sense told me to stay indoors, but my College said we are open. They did let us out early and Thursday is closed. Today was a good day to go hunting. Fired twice at a doe, missed. Just going to stay home and hunt again since the season closes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im at the top end of perimeter. It was a interesting shift. My son who works a few miles from my station said it took 3 hours to get to my station cause of traffic. It hit so fast that the roads were turned to ice by cars packing it down before the authorities could react. Plus people around here dont know how to drive in these conditions. My son spent the night at my station. Left my bike there. The snow man was built by one of the snowmaggedon survivors that had to abandon their car on the highway near my station. I'm sad to report that the snowman gave his life on the next call we went on. He wasnt wearing a saftey harness.

Tim :cool:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It is brutal wherever it hits. Southerners don't have the road equipment to salt or sand it down and most of their drivers haven't had the experience to handle it. I do feel sorry for all of them. I'm just sad that their powers-that-be blame the weather forecasters as the root cause of the problem. What's happened to our government, when something goes wrong it's always someone else's fault?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I live close by to TS, and I ended up walking home 7 miles. Wasn't really dressed for it, but as I walked it became clear that I never would have made it in my car because the roads were littered with abandoned cars, some piled together. Working from home today, may try to head to the office after the tow trucks have had more time.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have a cousin that live in NW GA and works for one of the Counties. He posted some pics on facebook of several vehicles parked out and some accidents that he saw. He is an equipment operator and drove one of the trucks to clean the roads.

It seems to me that around here more and more people are afraid of driving in adverse conditions. I know we should not unless we need to, but when that need comes along we need to know how to handle it. I guess that is easier to do living in a rural area with very little traffic.

Pass the buck. That is a common thing to do now. Pass the blame until some one either accepts it or can't come up with an excuse that people will fall for.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm just sad that their powers-that-be blame the weather forecasters as the root cause of the problem. What's happened to our government, when something goes wrong it's always someone else's fault?
Pass the buck. That is a common thing to do now. Pass the blame until some one either accepts it or can't come up with an excuse that people will fall for.
It does get old listening to people trying to put culpability for their actions onto someone else. If you made the call; stand by it and defend or apologize.
But I think the 24 hr news cycles always wanting someone to blame is a major contributing factor.

I don't live in the area, and maybe there were some big screw ups. IDK.
I will say; I'm not sure I get why the schools were open.

But, we all know that weather forecasting is hit or miss; and we all know that budgets are tight.
The meteorologists very well could have made the best call from the data they had.
If the best predictors say it's only going to be a dusting; then saving the money it would cost to spread sand, would be prudent.

If we (read: the press) waited until all the facts were in before starting a lynch mob; maybe there wouldn't be an early rush to set public opinion.

Then again; maybe I'm just getting jaded.:confused:

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Agreed, I don't know the facts, but we all see and hear about such things on the tv/radio/internet while things are going on. No time to sort out the details. But angry lynch mobs with torches hunting down the "guilty" party make for a much more interesting story.

Also never living in anywhere but extremely rural ares, I don't know what it is like when something like this hits in a populated area. The county I live in has less than 15K people not like we are all sitting on top of each other.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Agreed, I don't know the facts, but we all see and hear about such things on the tv/radio/internet while things are going on. No time to sort out the details. But angry lynch mobs with torches hunting down the "guilty" party make for a much more interesting story.

Also never living in anywhere but extremely rural ares, I don't know what it is like when something like this hits in a populated area. The county I live in has less than 15K people not like we are all sitting on top of each other.
I grew up in a small town too. We didn't get much ice/snow; but when we did, I would take my 4.0L 4-speed Ford out and play 'rednecks on ice'.:D

In the city it has been a different story though.:(
In 2000 I left work early and a normally 45min drive turned into 5 hours because people were scared to use the gas pedal.
Before there was ANY ice on the roads, people were stopping and going one at a time over all the bridges and overpasses.
I could see the water coming off the tires; but about 80% of people would stop and wait. It drove me nuts.
This drug out the ride home until everything was covered in ice. Of course, after that, accidents did start happening.
So these people probably think the "crazy" drivers that were driving across the wet bridges like they were wet were to blame.

Just last month I laughed from my upstairs window at numerous people getting stuck going up a VERY slight long incline behind my house.
I saw a truck tear up someones yard trying to get going.
All of em trying to drive too slow.:confused:

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I grew up in a small town too. We didn't get much ice/snow; but when we did, I would take my 4.0L 4-speed Ford out and play 'rednecks on ice'.:D

In the city it has been a different story though.:(
In 2000 I left work early and a normally 45min drive turned into 5 hours because people were scared to use the gas pedal.
Before there was ANY ice on the roads, people were stopping and going one at a time over all the bridges and overpasses.
I could see the water coming off the tires; but about 80% of people would stop and wait. It drove me nuts.
This drug out the ride home until everything was covered in ice. Of course, after that, accidents did start happening.
So these people probably think the "crazy" drivers that were driving across the wet bridges like they were wet were to blame.

Just last month I laughed from my upstairs window at numerous people getting stuck going up a VERY slight long incline behind my house.
I saw a truck tear up someones yard trying to get going.
All of em trying to drive too slow.:confused:

Scott
Each situation calls for a different plan of action. A lot of times it is people not going fast enough to keep their momentum up or people going too fast and cant control their vehicles. Just a couple days ago I was at Lowes doing the "Rednecks on Ice" routine, even had a couple other guys out there taking turns. I take my wife out every chance I get to let her do it. She never drove anything RWD until we got together, so I have been teaching her how to do doughnut and power slides, and the difference between how an open differential and locking rear end reacts too. When I was around 14 was when my dad took me out to the church parking lot to teach me.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Each situation calls for a different plan of action. A lot of times it is people not going fast enough to keep their momentum up or people going too fast and cant control their vehicles. Just a couple days ago I was at Lowes doing the "Rednecks on Ice" routine, even had a couple other guys out there taking turns. I take my wife out every chance I get to let her do it. She never drove anything RWD until we got together, so I have been teaching her how to do doughnut and power slides, and the difference between how an open differential and locking rear end reacts too. When I was around 14 was when my dad took me out to the church parking lot to teach me.
Yeah, I've seen them going to fast too. I think this IS more likely to cause an accident.
I saw one on my way home the day after laughing at the people that couldn't tackle an incline.
Every once in a while, I will see someone that hits their brakes on an icy bridge. I saw one of these directly in front of me when the 'too fast' car spun out.;)

But, around here the 'going too slow' group seem to cause more back-ups.

Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Black ice is still out there. I saw two accidents and I only went to Wallyworld. State Trooper was very busy. The black ice will always be in the tree shade when the thaw comes. People are still flying down the road and still are in the ditch. I want to ride a bike so bad. Just bought a motorized bicycle so if I count it I will now have 5 bikes. Lifes choices are which one do I want to ride.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Black ice is still out there. I saw two accidents and I only went to Wallyworld. State Trooper was very busy. The black ice will always be in the tree shade when the thaw comes. People are still flying down the road and still are in the ditch. I want to ride a bike so bad. Just bought a motorized bicycle so if I count it I will now have 5 bikes. Lifes choices are which one do I want to ride.
or the north facing side of the mountain, if you all have those down there :D since the sun sits more to the south in the winter time.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
But, we all know that weather forecasting is hit or miss; and we all know that budgets are tight.
The meteorologists very well could have made the best call from the data they had.
If the best predictors say it's only going to be a dusting; then saving the money it would cost to spread sand, would be prudent.

If we (read: the press) waited until all the facts were in before starting a lynch mob; maybe there wouldn't be an early rush to set public opinion.

Then again; maybe I'm just getting jaded.:confused:

Scott
Just as reliable?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts