Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was riding it and noticed a weird chatter that would become evident at about 2nd gear and up only with the clutch out. If I freewheeled at any speed, the chatter would go away

I think everything started after lub. Chain
Maybe someone is able to help me?
Thanks

·
Registered
06 Vulcan Nomad, 04 Yamaha FZ1, 05 Yamaha FZ1
69 Posts
If your chain isn't tracking near the center of the rear sprocket, you will get noise from the side plates hitting the sprocket. If tracking properly, they should never touch the sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
2,716 Posts
Hard to advise without knowing where on the bike the noise is coming from. If it started right after chain lubrication, check both sprockets. Especially the front one. Did you just adjust the chain? The fact that the noise disappears when you coast says it might not be the chain unless it‘s misaligned or makes noise only under load. Does the noise disappear while your riding and then decelerate with the clutch still engaged and In gear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to advise without knowing where on the bike the noise is coming from. If it started right after chain lubrication, check both sprockets. Especially the front one. Did you just adjust the chain? The fact that the noise disappears when you coast says it might not be the chain unless it‘s misaligned or makes noise only under load. Does the noise disappear while your riding and then decelerate with the clutch still engaged and In gear?
1.Does the noise disappear while your riding and then decelerate with the clutch still engaged and In gear?

Yes, after that noise disappears, and if you accelerate very very little bit noise comes again, noise is like wind or something, can't explain

·
Super Moderator
2,716 Posts
So the noise is heard only under load. Since it makes the noise in second and up, get the rear wheel off the ground and stabilize the bike. Put a wheel chock or something in front of the front tire. Then run the bike and put in second gear so you can determine where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check your chain tension. Odds are it's hitting the swing arm. I had the exact same thing happen on a 3500 mile trip and we simply adjusted the tension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts