Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 900 classic has the stock seat and I find after riding for a couple of hours my tailbone becomes quite sore. I have considered buying a new seat but am afraid I will spend a pile of money and not have a solution to the problem. Anyone else have the problem and have you been able to fix it?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome to the world of Monkey Butt. I recently purchased an after market whoich helps, but still not there. 295 miles yesterday left me a bit sore at the end.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Buying a new seat is like a crap shoot. No two butts are alike, and even just setting on one won't tell you much. My stock seat felt great setting in the dealers showroom, but after 20 minutes on that thing I had to have something else. You might try one of the pads from AirHawk or one of the various other makers. Still not cheap, but should help quite a bit. Or you might consider having your seat reworked. MeanCycles will redo your stocker or you can take a look at www.geezerglide.com to see a sample of his work.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
All good advice so far. I have had the meancitycycles mod done on my previous Suzuki C50 and was not impressed...still sore tail syndrome !
I also bought a gel pad... helped a little..dont use it anymore. Then I bought an Airhawk and that helped the most. Still use it about 50% of the time....and it lets me shift positions and relieve pressure spots easily.

I just did a 510 mile day last week with the airhawk and my tail hurt for a while...but now I can routinely do 250 miles a day with no tail pain.

the other thing is ya just gotta get used to it. I have found the more I ride to the point of tail bone soreness, the longer I can go before I get that soreness..... like anything else, practice improves your endurance. Yeesh, I just realized.... does that mean I have callouses there ?!? GRIN

My 900 classic has the stock seat and I find after riding for a couple of hours my tailbone becomes quite sore. I have considered buying a new seat but am afraid I will spend a pile of money and not have a solution to the problem. Anyone else have the problem and have you been able to fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good advice so far. I have had the meancitycycles mod done on my previous Suzuki C50 and was not impressed...still sore tail syndrome !
I also bought a gel pad... helped a little..dont use it anymore. Then I bought an Airhawk and that helped the most. Still use it about 50% of the time....and it lets me shift positions and relieve pressure spots easily.

I just did a 510 mile day last week with the airhawk and my tail hurt for a while...but now I can routinely do 250 miles a day with no tail pain.

the other thing is ya just gotta get used to it. I have found the more I ride to the point of tail bone soreness, the longer I can go before I get that soreness..... like anything else, practice improves your endurance. Yeesh, I just realized.... does that mean I have callouses there ?!? GRIN
Thanks guys! I'll keep an eye out for the Airhawk. Seems like I'm not the only one wiyh this prob!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am actually having a guy here in town replace the foam in my stock seat with a memory foam next week. he is also going to add some tacking to give it more of a dip at the back almost like the ones that look like they have a small back rest. Will let ya know how it works out... best thing is he is doing it for just the labor costs so will only cost me 20 bucks! he already had the foam. SWEET!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a different approach that works for me... And I have WELL over 100 thousands miles of saddle time.

Get a Corbin Leather saddle. It is VERY firm and won't let your tailbone sink into the saddle and get sore.
And get some handlebars that will pull you closer to the front of the bike so you will lean farther forward and get off that tailbone all together and put more pressure on your butt bones and hands.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Then I bought an Airhawk and that helped the most. Still use it about 50% of the time....and it lets me shift positions and relieve pressure spots easily.

The Airhawk gets the best reviews out of add-ons to your stock seat... followed, surprisingly, by the simplest of things... seat beads! I was floored by the beads reviews, lol. They air out your butt, keep circulation going, etc, and only cost about 1/3 of the air hawk. BUT, each review of seat beads still says, "second only to the Airhawk for comfort".

That's from the reviews I've found, anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put an Ultimate seat on my 900 about a month ago. It made a world of difference. One nice thing about the Ultimate is, they give you 14 days to try it out. If you don't like it, just return it for a refund.

One more word about seats and comfort. There isn't a seat out there that will let you do 200 miles nonstop without some discomfort. I can ride all day so long as I stop every couple of hours and walk around for 15 or twenty minutes. It also resharpens my mind and senses.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had my stock seat modified with foam a couple of times then opted for the Kawi comfort gel. It was an improvement but I still needed more since I have a broken tailbone. I use an Airhawk and top it off with a sheepskin pad. Much better now. The Airhawk makes the most difference.

·
Registered
203 Posts
just picked up my seat! went for a test ride... it sits SO much differently... much more comfy so far. taking a trip from middle georgia to north carolina this coming weekend so will get to give it a good trial and will let ya know!

he added memory foam to the "butt cheek" areas and back of the main part. then he tacked the back down to give it more of a "pocket" will get pics soon!

I like it alot!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just came back from a 3000+ mile trip and my tailbone is sore. I have the Kawasaki Studded Gel Seat and it lets me sit a little longer in the saddle compared to the stock seat. I still can't seem to get pass an hour without stopping to give my a$$ a break. I would like to go at most 2 hours then have a break.

I was talking with a guy today who does seats and he was saying that my weight (300 lbs) is my problem. We tried 2 1" pcs of dense memory foam and a 1" pcs of regular memory foam and I was almost bottoming out on that which would cause problems after a while.

I think I might try the airhawk system next although I do like what Russell Day-Long seats have to say (www.day-long.com) and their warranty looks good too.

Patrick

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did 400 miles on mine friday and yesterday.... 150 friday and the rest yesterday. I was not sore either time. I am actually really happy with how good I felt when I got here.

the deeper pocket lets me sit better and the memory foam doesnt put the pressure points on my hips. :) I actually made it the 150 without stopping and was still not stiff... well except for my back cause I have a bad habit of slumping when cruising! hahahaha

best money I ever spent let me say!

·
Registered
42 Posts
kawai gel seat

Bought a kawasaki stud gel seat off e-bay, $214, 10 times better than the stock seat, we took our longest trip this weekend (125 miles) no problem.
realy like the seat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
well... I finally found the I am getting sore... spot on my reworked seat! hahahaha 400 miles and i am finally a little stiff and sore but I dont think there is a seat out there that you would not get there eventually with! hahaha took me 1000 miles over 4 days and a 400 mile leg to find it!

going to drag my tired ass into a much needed shower!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts