Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my shoulders are hurting since I have been riding my VN900 for the last 2 months.

They feel strained.

Anyone else expereinced this pain from riding heavy bikes (like the VN900)?

(I understand the VN900 is a light one compared to higher CC Cruisers too.)

If so, what remedies were taken?

Romper

·
Registered
415 Posts
Depending on your height, i have known some who are on the shorter side say they needed to put on risers to feel more comfortable and not be reaching so far, i'm 6'2" and the fit seems just right for me, i can even sit back in my seat some.....ride on.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have some of the same issues with my shoulders. Adding pull back risers and changing the angle of the bars has helped...but not totally resolved the problem.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I agree. you can buy some $20 risers off ebay and play with the height of the bars which I found makes a big difference.
Now my forearms are level as I ride and I feel no strain at all.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Get a back rest. Takes the wind pressure strain of your arms and back. I also added 2" risers off ebay. They were dirt cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

so, the stock bars are not the best for tall riders I am thinking?

Do i need to aim for parallel forearms (to the ground)?

I am 6'2" and thinking if I still need those risers...?

What is the maximum height of bar risers that can be installed on these bikes before the function of all the cables is affected?

Will strengthening the muscles in my back, shoulders, fore arms and biceps help?

Interesting part about all of this is that I do not feel any pain or strain when I am riding, only when I am resting and off the bike....???

Romper

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
You might need to play with a few different positions. Iam just over 6 foot and the bike felt fine with the standard seat. Then I fitted the Mustang seat and the bars felt out of place. 2 inch risers fixed that easy.
Next time you ride.Take note of your angles in your arms,Reach in your shoulders and wrist angles.
A backrest might also help. When I rode to Brisbane,I strapped a sleeping bag to the pillion seat front to back and used that for some extra support on the longer ride.Costs nothing and you can see what you need for your body before spending the big dollars.
A windscreen also help stop the wind from blasting you backwards on the open road.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks jason.

i have committed to bobbing this bike with a bcb kit coming my way shortly.

i know this won't help with my shoulders, but now i have to think of a work-around.

A backrest and windscreen are great ideas, but not possible now.

ROmper

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Are you tensing up when you ride?
Do you notice the post ride pain after a country road ride?
I tense up when riding in the rain although I try to relax and notice Iam drained more after I get home.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
That limits things a little bit.
Is it both shoulders you feel the pain,Or just one such as the throttle side.
Could you stretch before a ride? Maybe find a way to keep the blood flowing while you ride.Stop for a quick 1 minute stretch. Then another stretch when you get home.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jason,

I find I do tense up - especially in damp conditions and approaching all turns...

I do force myself to pause in my thoughts and tell myself to relax - and it does help relieve that tense feeling.

All I do is commute on the bike (30 mins each way every day).

Both shoulders feel sore the same amount at the same time - normally when I am lying in bed or at the computer...

Yes, I can stretch before the ride and that is a great idea.

Will muscle strengthing in the upper body help my ailments?

ROmper

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
When I was first learning to weld many years ago. My teacher always said to lower our elbows while welding because holding them up makes us tense up. I noticed big improvements just lowering the elbows/Shoulders.
A warm up could be a good thing. It is well worth a try. Don't overdo it though. Iam not a real sporty guy,But others might have some good warm up routines that will help.
A lot of the Iron Butt riders and Far riders spend a lot of time in the gym preparing for their massive rides. It all helps and will make you feel good too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Basic push up and pull ups will strengthen what you need. 3 sets of 10 or whatever your current level of fitness requires. I'm not a big guy but I work out 4-5 days a week and don't have shoulder issues on long rides. I do get numb fingertips at times after a long ride but that is related to a different issue. I'm guessing posture/seating position is the main culprit for you though.

·
VRAC Nation President, BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & No
122 Posts
I had the same issue and I am 5'8 but the leaning forward was hard and I had a backrest on my mustang seat but couldn't reach it due to handlebars, I put on 4 inch risers and it helped some but not enough and for me after having 3 back surgeries last being spinal fusion Hubby and I build custom mini ape hangers and now I sit perfectly straight as well as the bike feels lighter to manage.

·
Registered
698 Posts
thanks Jason.

DO you think i should try some bar risers?

Romper
It's an easy mod. I'm your height & put on 2" risers off ebay which didn't require any other alterations. You really do need a back rest though until you get a full size windscreen. That made the biggest difference for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts