Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'95 Vulcan 750

I'll be driving down the road and I notice varying degrees of power that seems to change in blocks of time. Many times when I throttle up I'll be accelerating and when I hit higher RPMs it seems like I get a POWER boost and my acceleration just leaps up! Other Times I will accelerate looking for that burst and it just seems like it's chugging to keep me going.

I notice also that when the bike isn't accelerating as well that the bike will begin to die when I idle of I don't keep the motor revving just a touch. Just seems like the power is unstable... I don't think I've FULLY broke it in and I'm looking to do some tuning this weekend. Any suggestions before I get started - I know a carb clean is top of the list.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That would be my number 1 suspect. Sounds like you've got a fuel-delivery issue. Giving the carb a good make-over will probably take care of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another forum tells me it may be that one of the cylinders isn't firing and it kicks in every now and again.

I just got the bike about a week ago. It is used and the guy I bought it from didn't know much bout nothin cause he was going to fix it up but it just sat there so he sold it.

All the spark plugs are firing. I check compression if that helps and each one blows my thumb off.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd just go by process of elimination if I were you. I'd start with the carb (and cleaning/replacing the air filter). If the problem persists once you get that done, then we know we've got deeper (and more expensive) problems.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had a very similar thing with my wife's 454 LTD / EN450 I finally bought 2 bottles of potent fuel fixer elixir and dumped it in a near empty gas tank then rode over to the filling station and topped it off with 93. Then I rode it home and the next morning I changed the plugs and when I took it out for a test ride I made some high RPM passes down the road shifting it at red line, 10,500 RPM. As I was coming home I came around a curve in 4th and tached it up and shifted it into 5th and wound it to 9500. When I pulled it the drive way I just let it sit and idle until the cooling fan came on and it ran great. I figured if the fixer elixir didn't work then it was carb cleaning time.

Remember your VN750 has 4 plugs not 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts