Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to pile on, but here is something to think about....

I wanted louder pipes. I knocked out the screens, drilled some holes and then completely removed my baffles. I like the sound. I would idle out of the neighborhood in 3rd gear and then open her up. The pipes were loud, but not too loud and I like the sound.

Recently I joined a local riding club. Every Sunday, 15-25 bikes take organized rides between 300-400mi. Being new to group riding, I was put toward the front.... and then it started.

The occasional speach from an older member on how "loud pipes don't really save lives", the passing comment on how loud my pipes are, etc, etc...

Then I realized that in a group of bikes with loud pipes, no one would notice mine, but in a group of bikes with quiet pipes, it sucks to get stuck behind the only guy with loud pipes. I cannot ride in the back because the "tail gunner" has a radio to communicate with the front and must be an experienced group rider.

Soooooo. I found a set of stock pipes on craigs list for $75 and installed them last night. Now my debaffled pipes are sitting in my garage and my bike sounds like a stealth machine. After riding with no baffles, I can hardly hear the bike. I guess I'll keep 'em on as long as I ride with this group. Now I guess I'll have to light my bike up like a UFO so they'll at least they'll see me comming as now the cagers cannot hear me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The cagers you need to worry about wouldn't hear you any quicker than see you anyway... they're too busy listening to a cranked cd and texting on their phone while gawking at some sexy thing on the other side of the street.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have to agree man. I have Hard Kromes on my bike. Freakin loud when I am on it. But I think they sound good. I have gotten alot of people saying that they like it. But the past few rides the people when they say something about them being loud, it ain't in a good way. And one of those rides was with a bunch of guys who were on LOUD Harleys. So maybe it just sounds like loud shit, not a good loud.

I need to be behind it on a bike instead of on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new to riding and female. This past summer I started out on a 250cc scooter, moved to a Honda 750, decided motorcycling is great and now have a Vulcan 900. Before I started riding, I have to say loud pipes turned me off, it was like a pesky fly that you couldn't get away from fast enough. It gave me a less than desirable impression about motorcycles and their riders. I always thought the guy was trying to compensate for 'something' (I'm sure I'm gonna get hammered for this, but that's the general attitude of my female friends as well). Anyway, as a rider I understand a little deep rumble is nice, I like that too. But, it doesn't have be overkill and most folks hear twice the noise you hear because they are not wearing a helmet to muffle the noise. You want to be noticed....add chrome, paint, lights....it doesn't have to be LOUD.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I always thought the guy was trying to compensate for 'something' (I'm sure I'm gonna get hammered for this, but that's the general attitude of my female friends as well).

Anyway, as a rider I understand a little deep rumble is nice, I like that too.

But, it doesn't have be overkill and most folks hear twice the noise you hear because they are not wearing a helmet to muffle the noise.
Well yeah you might get hammered. I have never understood that whole thing of people saying that someone is trying to compensate for thing if they drive a sportscar, or this or that. Most guys aren't that deep that they are doing that. A sports car is fun to drive fast, any car can be fun to drive fast. A sports car is just better cuz it is designed to be driven fast. As far as loud pipes, guys like loud things, be it cars, trucks, bikes, stereos, farts. My pipes were put on by the PO anyhow.

Actually most people complaining bout the noise of my bike are the ones wearing full face helmets. They say the noise just resonates inside the helmet. That is part of the reason I dont wear a helmet on this bike cuz it is too loud. The same thing happened when I drilled the baffles on my Vulcan 750.

·
Registered
397 Posts
While I can totally understand and even appreciate the sound of a good throaty rumble going by me, one of the things that really appealed to me about the 900 was it's almost stealthy ride. I mean it's not totally quiet like a 'Wing can get, but at least I've never heard any complaints from the neighbors when I go out and warm it up at 5:30 am before going to work. Louder pipes are one thing, but then there are those that make me cringe 'cuz they're simply too d**n LOUD!
I think I remember reading where someone thought the 900 sounded like a "sewing machine". I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'm okay with the sound of the stock pipes... just loud enough to be heard.

·
Registered
487 Posts
After 48 years of abusing my ears with guns, rock concerts, work, etc, I find it's time to start preserving what hearing I have left. Well... past time actually. Altough I find a good throaty rumble apealing, I also find loud bike annoying. My bikes exhaust will remain stock. I still spend the bulk of my driving time in so called "cages" and noise has never been the main way of locating a bike in close proximity. That comes from paying attention to what is going on around you when driving. Unfortunately that is becoming a rare occurance anymore. Drive safe and keep the noise down ya wipper snappers! :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
But, it doesn't have be overkill and most folks hear twice the noise you hear because they are not wearing a helmet to muffle the noise.

If you think wearing a helmet muffles the noise, try riding one with pipes while wearing a FF helmet. I assure you that the "noise" is anything but muffled. Just sayin' is all........

·
Registered
156 Posts
hmm, odd.
I wear two different helmets. a FF and a halfie. I have gutted stockers, and my bike is louder with the halfie. so I would conclude that my FF does indeed muffle the sound of my pipes. it also muffles all my "vulcan" engine noises, lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
hmm, odd.
I wear two different helmets. a FF and a halfie. I have gutted stockers, and my bike is louder with the halfie. so I would conclude that my FF does indeed muffle the sound of my pipes. it also muffles all my "vulcan" engine noises, lol
But from your avatar pic you dont have a windshield, so noises are going to do different things then if you did have one. Noises on a bike are really weird. A persons height, width, helmet style can all affect noises differently.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My halfie is also louder.....but it's a different kind of sound. My FF modular sounds like I'm inside a trash can with the noise being piped in.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually most people complaining bout the noise of my bike are the ones wearing full face helmets. They say the noise just resonates inside the helmet.
That one almost had me on the floor rolling for some reason. This one puts it all into perspective from the view point that no matter what you do, loud or quiet someone is going to have something to critique or complain about.
On my stock pipes, I removed the final screen making it a bit louder and have done nothing else since. Having had my LT for 8 months now this has been the one area that I've reserved making a final decision for a permanent change. I plan to to put on a set of Cobra's 2 into 1 by next spring. It will be a bit louder, but it'll also run a bit better. I'm not doing it because of any concern about letting cages know I'm there or to impress anyone else. The group I ride with has a really broad variety of bikes and riders and no one has ever complained about anyone else. Quite the opposite happens, we all like drooling over each others rides and look for tips for good farkling. I will do it for the pure and simple reason of enjoying my own ride that much more. Debaffle, don't debaffle or change pipes. I think is't all good. But it really blows my mind to think that anyone would even consider complaining about the volume of my pipes because of the helmet they're wearing. Let them wear earplugs!!! I have 5 helmets including a full face, and it's the noisiest helmet I've worn yet. I hate wearing the bloody thing for a wide variety of reasons. As for the pipes, each should do whatever turns their crank... and above all, enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
But from your avatar pic you dont have a windshield, so noises are going to do different things then if you did have one. Noises on a bike are really weird. A persons height, width, helmet style can all affect noises differently.
it was off for that pic. I love my MS quik-release :) I rarely ride w/o it though.

i was curious, so i checked the parent pic, and sure enough, the windshield *was* on there. like i said, i rarely ride w/o it.

but I do agree that things affect noise differently. I also wear a neoprene face thingie when its chilly out, and the engine noises are insane with that thing on!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my VN900 May of 08 debaffled and debadged. I loved the sound then and I've even got a compliment that is doesn't sound like all the other bikers out there. Its loud but not as loud as some of those HD shorty's you hear dragging around town. The only problem I have is that the sound gets a little annoying on a long ride when I am trying to talk to my passenger. It runs good, sounds good, rides good. I'm looking for the Memphis Shades Batwing as my next upgrade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is my understanding that in the Province of Quebec it is not wise to ride with other than OEM pipes. A customer of my dealer said Vance & Hines cost her a few bucks. Google 'J2825", it is an SAE measurement procedure of sound pressure which the American Motorcyclist Association is supporting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since there seems to be such diversified opinions on this subject, I would like a bit of advice. I love the looks of a two-into-one for my SE, particularly a shorter than stock pipe. However, I, too, have neighbours and leave for work about 5 in the morning. Does anybody know of a company that sells this set-up (in black, of course) and also supply a variety of baffles to knock down the decibels? I'm going more for the look than the volume. And any extra HP that 2 into 1's might give me.

·
Registered
941 Posts
it was off for that pic. I love my MS quik-release :) I rarely ride w/o it though.

i was curious, so i checked the parent pic, and sure enough, the windshield *was* on there. like i said, i rarely ride w/o it.

but I do agree that things affect noise differently. I also wear a neoprene face thingie when its chilly out, and the engine noises are insane with that thing on!!
Yeah now that I see the pic is larger I can see the shield. I don't know how to enlarge the avatar pic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts