Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My 900 is an 06 and i got it with 14k miles on it and it felt like the stock dunlop d404 would turn in on tight turns. New tire stoped that....i also felt sum slight grinding and general lack of smoothness so i figured at that age best to inspect wheel bearings.....they wer a bit rusted and new bearings really smoothed things out.....i would also check to make sure brake calipers seals are not cuasing binding...
I’m getting ready to deal with this as soon as I get my jack. I’m pretty certain it’s a sticky caliper and not the bearing. In my experience a bearing sound is constant and will get worse over time. I’ve heard NO sound when rolling or cruising. My bike only makes the sound after sitting and the first 4 feet the bike moves. If I apply the front brake Before those 4 feet it immediately stops. If I reapply and squeeze the control hard, it comes back. Like it sticks.

Since it’s new to me 3 months ago I’m just going to replace the front brake Caliper and pads. I also feel like the front brake control doesn’t feel right. I’d expect when I pull it to just feel a nice smooth pull like on a bicycle. Instead it feels like it is sort of mechanical and makes a sound. Like a click as it fully engages. I really don’t recall that the first few weeks I had it.

The bearing isn’t expensive so I guess I’ll do it while I have the front wheel off but I’m tempted not too, just so I know if my diagnosis is correct.

I’ll decide I guess when I get there. Need to order my parts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Am I understanding correctly that a front Caliper is $323 AMERICAN dollars?!? If so, that is ridiculous! I get a piston for my car for $150 bucks

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
145 Posts
Before you spend money on a new caliper I'd suggest swapping out the fluid with fresh new DOT 4 brake fluid. If you can get your hands on a basic bleed kit, it is very simple. If you pump the handle lever enough once the fluid comes out of the caliper clear, new looking, it may free up things. You will likely have to compress the piston back in anyway if your putting in new pads. Also the "click" you hear is most likely the brake light switch engaging, my bike clicks due to the same thing. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah the click is the brake light switch.....no need to buy a new caliper!! Just buy the piston seal kit and also a seal kit for the brake master cylinder......its like 20 bucks each set......brake fluid becomes extremely acidic if left to age for too long and it eats up the seals......trust me bud i replaced the caliper and master cylinder seals as well as upgraded to steel braided brake lines ....pretty easy and straightforward stuff.....do not buy a whole new caliper.....my brakes were sticking due to bad seals

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can rebuild both calipers and master cylinders and add steel braided brake lines for about $70 each set

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Before you spend money on a new caliper I'd suggest swapping out the fluid with fresh new DOT 4 brake fluid. If you can get your hands on a basic bleed kit, it is very simple. If you pump the handle lever enough once the fluid comes out of the caliper clear, new looking, it may free up things. You will likely have to compress the piston back in anyway if your putting in new pads. Also the "click" you hear is most likely the brake light switch engaging, my bike clicks due to the same thing. Hopefully this helps.
Yeah, my fluid is definitely brand new...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah the click is the brake light switch.....no need to buy a new caliper!! Just buy the piston seal kit and also a seal kit for the brake master cylinder......its like 20 bucks each set......brake fluid becomes extremely acidic if left to age for too long and it eats up the seals......trust me bud i replaced the caliper and master cylinder seals as well as upgraded to steel braided brake lines ....pretty easy and straightforward stuff.....do not buy a whole new caliper.....my brakes were sticking due to bad seals
Ok, I’ll check that out. I did see those parts in the diagram. I guess I’m just used to my cars and I just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok... so I had lubed the cable, lever and springs in the caliper. Problem goes away

Today I'm riding and I go to brake and feel it again. I look down and every time I brake the entire caliper is moving. I pull over and the caliper is just hanging on the disc! Both bolts GONE!

What's the chances of both bolts coming unbolted or breaking?!?

I think someone replaced the pads and put the caliper on hand tight and forgot about it. I was feeling the disc slightly hit the caliper before as the bolts continued to come loose.

Def could have gone real bad if the caliper came off the disc and caught in my wheel 😳

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Scary situation. I'd say check everything on a used bike, but I had a similar situation on my brand new 07 Custom. Second season I noticed hard shake on the front end and started looking at wheel bearings, etc. What I found were finger tight bolts on the triple tree. No way they could have shaken loose. It was both sides, lower clamp bolts. Pissed me the hell off, but by then I had already decided to never do business with that dealer again so I torqued them down and rode on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah... I checked a lot. But not that. Looked at a picture from over 6 weeks ago and big as life one bolt was missing when I started hearing the scraping at first take off.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts