Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 En500 has been acting up lately. I’ll be riding and it will just die. At first I thought it was a battery issue, but let me explain:
Today, for example, I was splitting lanes coming to a red light and everything shut off and went dark. I had to duck walk out of traffic, turned the key off and on, and hit the start. It was trying to turn over but couldn’t fire up. I flipped the petcock to reserve and bam fired right up. Here’s the thing tho, I had plenty of fuel in the main tank. It is worth mentioning, however, the last 2 times I’ve filled up my tank I’ve had fuel spill right out of a hose under the bike and onto my foot. The only way to get it to stop was by either waiting for a few seconds and wasting a considerable amount of expensive 91 octane, or by again flipping it to reserve (prime made it spill faster). Yet it only started spilling when I closed the gas cap. I’m wondering if the 2 are related and if so what’s going on here? It seems to be fuel related when I can get it going on reserve however that wouldn’t explain it just shutting off. It would putter out if I truly was out of fuel. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm not quite getting what you mean with the fuel spill, but I think the engine cutoff is the tank vent is not working.
When you come back from a ride or if its parked in the sun it should sing you a high pitched whine.
That's the tank vent working.
It vents out the gas cap. It can be disassembled and cleaned.

There are a lot of posts on here about it.
Go for a ride and when it quits, open the gas cap.
If there is a air rushing sound - tank is not venting properly.

And you can use 87 - its cheaper!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Cutty,
  • Definitely two separate issues here.
  • The electrical power off could be charging system related or ignition switch related.
  • Start with checking the battery terminal connections. Are they free of corrosion? Are they tightened?
  • Check frame grounds: the Main frame ground from the Negative battery cable and the harness grounds.
  • How does the ignition switch feel? Does it have defined detent feel from each position or does it glide through each position? Make sure the connector is clean and free of corrosion and that the plug is fully inserted into the socket.
  • Gas issue would be more easily solved by knowing which tube is dumping the fuel.
  • There is fuel tank spill/overflow, fuel tank vent, air box drain.
  • The fuel tap can deliver fuel to the carb OR it can have a bad vacuum diaphragm and send fuel into the vacuum nipple on the carb where the excess fuel would go into the cylinder to be burned or into the airbox to collect.
  • VulcanDoc suggestion should be performed to eliminate the cap as a possible problem.
  • The whole fuel tap controlling the flow leads me to think the fuel tap vacuum diaphragm is the problem.
  • Do some exploring and see what you find
  • Here is a link to a FREE PDF MANUAL: KAWASAKI EN500 VULCAN 500 LTD SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
810 Posts
Sounds like the hose come off the bottom of your tank.
Right side of the tank underneath and back behind the 'lip'...one towards the front..one towards the rear.. I believe its the front one causing you the grief as far as the fuel getting on you.
Technically if it come off should be dangling in plain site..so it might be missing...or possibly jammed in up higher to get it out of the way.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts