Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 900 Classic back in March. It is the first bike that I have ridden larger than a 500, and so far I am very pleased.

I bought the 09 bike 'new' with "0" miles on the odometer.
Now it is at 2004 miles. :)

I just thought I would throw out some thoughts on the bike and riding in general.

First, the 900 is so much smoother than the Vulcan 500 that I had before.
It does not seem as powerful (note the word 'seem') but it really is much more powerful and a more comfortable ride. When I first got the 900 I was happy that the dealer delivered it, as I was not too comfortable taking a larger bike out for the first time in those conditions. (The dealer is on the service rode of I45 and I would have picked it up in heavy traffic conditions).
However, once I rode on it for 5 minutes most of those fears went away.
The bike is very smooth and solid, and even though it weighs more than the 500 it was easy to control and it took me very little time to adjust to the increase.

I started out on some short rides in light traffic. Also, I practiced in a near by school yard (near as in about 3 meters from my driveway :)

Gradually I added longer and longer rides. One in particular, from Spring to Liberty, Texas, convinced me that I needed a windshield. Again, I was a bit uncomfortable with the idea as I had never rode with one before (at least, not as driver). Again, once I put it on it was amazing and I don't intend to ride without a windshield again if I can help it.

The only additions to my bike are as noted in my .sig.
The windshield, crash bar, saddlebags and sissy bar. Oh, and the crampbuster (more on that below).

The longest ride I have taken so far is from Spring (just north of Houston) to Jeanerette, La, a distance of about 260 miles. That was on a Thursday night, and on Saturday my wife rode with me from Jeanerette to Baton Rouge and back. On Sunday, I rode back to Spring (wife was in the car).

That was an awesome trip, and I will make it again soon. My dad is in a nursing home in that area of La and I want to take some day trips to visit.

On the Sunday ride home, we left Jeanerette and went through Breaux Bridge La. to get to I10 and stopped to eat. While there, a guy on a Nighthawk 250 pulled up, with a large pack attached to his bike. Turns out he was going from Jacksonville, Fl to California on his 250. He took good care of the bike (changing oil often and the like) and since we were not driving too fast (about 70mph true speed) he rode all the way back with us, stopping by Lake Houston to spend the night in a camp.

I had not realized how fun it was to ride with another bike, as that is the first time that I have done so...

Other thoughts...one thing that worries me about the crampbuster is that a couple of times I tried to release the throttle and, due to the brace, it kept the throttle open. The first time I sort of freaked...I could not understand what was happening and why the bike seemed to be racing. (I had the clutch on, but it was still a bit scary). It has happened once or twice since then and so I try to be very careful to let up on the throttle in a way that the brace does not keep the throttle open.

A second issue is what I consider my signature 'dumb' move...slowing down for whatever reason enough so that I have to downshift one or two gears...then hitting the throttle to accelerate and then *downshifting* again!
Luckily it has not happened in any sort of traffic, but I get quite angry with myself for doing something so stupid. It happened several times the first couple of weeks I had the bike and the frequency has tailed off...I think it is because I am not fully used to the toe-heal shift and that is causing my brain cramp.

Lastly, if anyone actually reads this far...about 3 days ago I was taking a curve and leaned a bit too far and dragged the footpad. Nothing serious, but I was amazed...I had heard of doing that but did not think I ever would. Then yesterday I did it again.

I have been working on my lean in curves and taking curves a bit less cautiously (I ride very cautiously...maybe too cautiously) so I guess I need to adjust my thinking on curves.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few thoughts now that I have crossed the 2K mile barrier. :)

Rod

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lastly, if anyone actually reads this far...about 3 days ago I was taking a curve and leaned a bit too far and dragged the footpad. Nothing serious, but I was amazed...I had heard of doing that but did not think I ever would. Then yesterday I did it again.

I have been working on my lean in curves and taking curves a bit less cautiously (I ride very cautiously...maybe too cautiously) so I guess I need to adjust my thinking on curves.
That's the stuff! Now you're turning! Don't worry about the floorboards, there's replaceable scrapers on the bottom. Plus, the floorboards are spring loaded so they can give a little when they do touch down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah,no worries on floorboards. I have scraped mine many times with no problems. I took my 06 vulcan 900 to florida and back(1,200 miles round trip) 3 times one year with no issues but a sore ass....I have a gel seat now,but looking into Mustang or Corbin. I know my next bike will be a Vulcan!(43,200 miles current)

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's good stuff Rod. While reading your post, I thought to myself - it sounds exactly like my story! I purchased a 08 V900 with 4K miles on it about a month 1/2 ago & drive it everywhere, everyday - even in the AZ heat. People think that I'm nuts, but I'm having too much fun. I had a 03 V500 that I absolutely loved & I thought that I would miss her, but I don't. It took no time at at to adjust to the 900 & I've put close to 1700 miles of my own on her. Glad your as happy as I am:)

Linda

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Great Story Spring! I've always ridden "Jap Standard" bikes and my last was '77 GS750. I was apprehensive about switching to a Cruiser, but at 52 I wasn't about buy a Sporty. After 22k miles I can say I've never felt more comfortable or in control than I do on my '07 Custom. I can ride all day only stopping for fuel if I feel like it and don't have any leg, back or butt issues (I do have a Mustang Wide Tour). I've been riding since 1981 and I only recently started riding with other bikes and I agree; it makes the ride a lot more fun.
As far as peg dragging; this is the first bike I've ever dragged pegs on(standards always had the pegs higher up and in tighter). However, riding the Custom, imagine my surprise when my heel touched the pavement before the peg! Freaked me out the first time and I snapped the bike back up. Now I view it as a warning that the peg is about to touch down.
Ride safe and keep smilin'

·
Registered
109 Posts
500 to 900

Enjoyed your story. I had a 2003 500 I bought in 2008 and drove it for 2 years. Last fall I bought a 2009 900 Classic. Love it - right size, nice ride, rumbles nicely with stock pipes. And I also drive rather cautiously ;)

Seems there are alot of 'us' out there - enjoy

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Make sure those scrapers are on the right ends of your footboards. Mine weren't, and I ain't the only guy on the forum who found 'em that way.

And I hit 2000 miles about 2500 miles ago. I haven't had any issues at all I would attribute to quality in workmanship and materials. Everything so far has been related to my tendency toward panic, my own sloppiness, my own lack of attention, and some knucklehead at the dealer who didn't tighten everything quite right on the bike when he put it together.

You guys will never hear me say a word about skipping the first dealer service again. I changed the oil, but not taking in for adjustments and torque checks has caused me a lot of hassle.

Other than a lot of stupidity on my part, the bike has been freakin great. welcome to the family!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good stuff Rod. While reading your post, I thought to myself - it sounds exactly like my story! I purchased a 08 V900 with 4K miles on it about a month 1/2 ago & drive it everywhere, everyday - even in the AZ heat. People think that I'm nuts, but I'm having too much fun. I had a 03 V500 that I absolutely loved & I thought that I would miss her, but I don't. It took no time at at to adjust to the 900 & I've put close to 1700 miles of my own on her. Glad your as happy as I am:)

Linda
My 500 was a 98, and I bought it because I had ridden a 550 before (Honda Nighthawk) and was comfortable with the size. I did not want to start out too big...plus my wife also took the MSF and got her license and we wanted a bike we could both ride.

When I mentioned in the post that my 500 'seemed' more powerful, let me try to explain:
While riding the 500, I would downshift and hit the throttle and the bike seemed to jump with power. When I first hit the throttle hard on the 900, it was like nothing happened...untill I glanced down at the speedometer!
Now, I am used to how smooth the bike is, but I do understand that people may miss that feeling of the bike surging with power.

Like you, I try to ride as much as I can but cannot ride as much as I like.

Rod

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying your bike and becoming more comfortable with it.

Have fun, and ride safe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts