Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the clunking tranny.Vibrating dash on accell.Rattle fron chrome piece on tank.Cooking my leg from the extrem heat from this air cooled engine.Plus lack of power when passing.Kawi missed the mark big time.Great looking bike but it's not a Touring bike.I traded for a Gold Wing and it's like going from a KIA to a Lexus.Enjoy your bikes
Bill

·
Registered
434 Posts
With the clunking tranny.Vibrating dash on accell.Rattle fron chrome piece on tank.Cooking my leg from the extrem heat from this air cooled engine.Plus lack of power when passing.Kawi missed the mark big time.Great looking bike but it's not a Touring bike.I traded for a Gold Wing and it's like going from a KIA to a Lexus.Enjoy your bikes
Bill
"solved the VV problems"

sounds to me like you may have picked up a whole set of new ones... ;o)

enjoy the new ride

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I liked my 1600 Nomad much more than my Voyager. Two years ago I found a low milage Valkyrie for $5500 and thought it would be a great stepping stone to a new Wing. I could never get comfortable. The engine did not let me stretch out and be comfy. I tried pegs and an Ultimate seat trying to like going a long distance, no luck. It also was very hot in the summer here in FLA. I sold it for more than I paid for but not invested in it. A cheap lesson learned that I can not be comfy on the Wing that I've wanted for about 20 years. Yes the Voyager looks good but after 6500 miles and 1 rear tire, I can honestly say I tolerate it for lack of knowing what else to buy. I've done the exhaust, intake,processor and dyno only to get about 34mpg and performance less than my Nomad.
Enjoy the Wing, it is way more machine for a few $$$ more.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Bill
I have ridden 20,000 miles on my 2010 Voyager, if it is not a touring bike it sure is a great long distance cruiser.

I really wanted a wing but am so glad I took an extended test ride before making the purchase or I would be on the wing site saying goodbye.

I had such high expectations and was totally disapointed in the riding position, application of power, slow speed handling, etc.

Then I took an extended test ride on the Voyager a half hour later and was hooked. Good thing there are different bikes for different riders.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Enjoy your Wing. I traded my wing for the voyager because I couldn't get comfortable with the limited leg position after 20,000 miles. I agree the voyager is a turtle compared to the wing but for me it's a lot more comfortable and easier to work on. The goldwing is a great bike but it has a lot of Pita problems also. Anyway if interested I have the service Manuel and have cover if your interested for the 06 - 08 I can sell you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
apples to oranges imo. You said it yourself, it's not a touring bike. It's a cruiser. Diff configurations completely, target customer, engine, options, price, etc. Although you'd be hardpressed to find a lot of people who wouldnt love a newer Goldwing. Def one in my future somewhere too. BTW, my Vaquero isn't air cooled and I'm pretty sure the entire modern Vulcan family is liquid cooled as well. If you wanted a touring bike you should have done some research. Doesnt really sound like you'll get an A on ur homework here...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bill
Any big V-Twin that I know of, makes some kind of noise when shifting, big deal, it's JUST NOISE!!!
Vibrating dash...really? Is that another noise or is it that you can't read the gauges??
Rattle from chrome....wow...tighten a screw or add a little piece of tape or foam here or there....little problem solved:D
To much heat...wow...really??? any big V-twin puts out a ton of heat on a hot day....ask any rider, on any brand of bike, with a big V-twin....period. btw if you didn't notice, the VV has a RADIATOR.....:D

Passing power??? Learn how to drop a gear when needed and there's plenty of power. But, if you want to compare apples and oranges...
Lets compare a 6 cylinder to a V-twin:confused: Hmmmm.....I wonder which one will have more power???? Gee....I wonder?:D

There's not a bike on the road that's perfect for everyone, or that someone won't find some little nit-picky thing wrong with....big deal...not a perfect world ya know:D

And as for your "enjoy your bikes" comment....thank you very much....I will and have from the time I bought this great bike!! But than again, I don't whine about the tiny non-issues...I just fix them and go on:D

OH...btw...with all the buttons and plastic on your new bike, all you need to do....is add a roof and a couple of doors...and you'll have yourself a pretty nice KIA.......Enjoy your bike:D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Everyone knows a Kia is way better than a Lexus. .... lol, jc, Enjoy your new bike. I love the look of a wing and really miss my 84 Apsencade, but my Nomads a mighty fine bike.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i've sat on multiple goldwings in dealers. I'm a tall handsome man. the seating position is the absolute worst, cramped position. automatically makes it a deal breaker.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seems like a lot of buttons got pushed here! The wing is nice! But imo not 7k nicer. Dont care for the riding position either unles you are a passenger. The power is great but it is not a v twin.

I had all the problems listed above and corrected every one. Some simple and some took a little extra spending. End result : I have a nice bike now and its running cooler, faster, and smoother with great classic styling to boot.

I did test ride a cross country and probally would have gone that route If I was trading. Still 7k to 9 k less than a new wing and a very nice ride. Still a clunky shift and a little heat from the motor but I bet she'll run next to that wing.

Any way, I'm sure you are not even reading our responses. Your probably out riding your new wing. Enjoy! Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your Voyager. Try to be a little less sarcastic next time you say bye to a bunch of good people like the ones on this forum. I'm sure some one in the past has helped you with your problems or maybe not by the sounds of it.

See ya at the Hoot!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must say that i'm sorry that most took it the wrong way.The Voyager is a great bike in it's place but Kawasaki does say it's a Touring bike.Has a rad but only cools the heads(why).I fixed most of the problems i had.But Kawi should have done it them self.Couldn't fix the clunking tranny but that was not a big issue.The heat on your right leg how do you fix that?I know ride only on cool days.I rode the bike 2 years just couldn,t get on to it.I did own a Wing for 4 years so maybe i expected more.Got a great deal so i traded.Didn,t mean to upset any one by what you ride
Bill
PS This is a great site enjoy your ride and be safe

·
Registered
392 Posts
so this motorcycle you "couldn't get into". you rode for 2 full years!!!! wow that's a long time to figure out you hated it. We'll check with you in late 2013 to see if you like the gold wing....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you Bill

I must say that i'm sorry that most took it the wrong way.The Voyager is a great bike in it's place but Kawasaki does say it's a Touring bike.Has a rad but only cools the heads(why).I fixed most of the problems i had.But Kawi should have done it them self.Couldn't fix the clunking tranny but that was not a big issue.The heat on your right leg how do you fix that?I know ride only on cool days.I rode the bike 2 years just couldn,t get on to it.I did own a Wing for 4 years so maybe i expected more.Got a great deal so i traded.Didn,t mean to upset any one by what you ride
Bill
PS This is a great site enjoy your ride and be safe
Hello Bill,
I wanted to type a reply to your first post cuz it got under my skin a little, all it seamed like was Voyager = BASH,BASH,BASH and Goldwing = PRAISE,PRAISE,PRAISE.
but now with this post I will say "Thank You"
You gave your Voyager a fair shot and it just wasn't for you, you had had a Goldwing before so you know that is more for you.

I wish you the best of luck with your wing and hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my Voyager.

P.S. The gold wing was going to be my next bike until the voyager came out, does it have some short comings? Yes, but as you know there are some short comings with any bike out there no matter what it is.

Once again enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Has a rad but only cools the heads(why)........
It's a big V-Twin, that's why, in addition to helping out with the fuel injection and emissions, too. Watercool the whole engine and it becomes a different beast altogether. I like the look of the finned V-Twin and if I wanted a completely watercooled V-Twin I'd have a Ducati.

The heat on your right leg how do you fix that?
Not with a Goldwing. They've got more plastic wrap (fairing) around them than a Voyager and wind up directing the heat past both your legs. I rode my brother-in-law's GW through the traffic in and around Annapolis and Baltimore in July's heat and it wasn't any "cooler" than the V. It seemed to me my legs were in this pocket of still air behind the fairing and at lights or in slow moving trafic the heat was directed past my shins. It was uncomfortable.

No matter what, with any 1700 or the GW, you're perched precarioulsy close to some awfully hot components. It's the nature of motorcycling and the quest for bigger and stronger engines. And as I said in another post, there are cars that don't have engines as big as this and they have bigger radiators and much more fluid capacity. And for me with my wife onboard, the 1700 handles the two of us without pause. And it's completely stock.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I must say that i'm sorry that most took it the wrong way.The Voyager is a great bike in it's place but Kawasaki does say it's a Touring bike.
It is a Touring Bike. It has all the storage space and touring amenities. Many guys have crisscrossed this great country we live in on a Voyager. The Voyager is the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned and I got my first touring bike when I was 19.

·
Registered
170 Posts
VV is a Big V-twin that does not shake like other big V-twins. Yes the cylinders do produce heat but with the water cooled heads no predet in the cylinders. I can drive buy in slow traffic and wave at all the HD parked under the over passes cooling thier engines.

Now if I wanted a multi cylinder luxery bike I would have gone for the new BMW 6 cylinder.

I like a narrow seating area as you have more choices of foot placement so it was a V-twin or the Triumph Rocket touring. Unfortunatly the Triumph has no cruise control, radio, or top box.

So for me it was the Kawasaki VV instead of a rattling HD or over sized luxery bike (what do you do with all those buttens). Believe me I could have bought anything I wanted.

I am very happy with the power, storage and comfort of the bike (except the seat Corbin on order). I want to cruise the miles away not zip along as fast as I can weaving in and out. Riding a bike is about seeing the country you ride in so stop some time and look around.

By the way ever notice all the ice houses (beer parlors) and thier HD with RUB's (Rich urban Bikers) in leather acting like they ride? If those bikes get 3k a year on them they are doing good.

RIDE SAFE! Enjoy what you ride

·
Registered
7 Posts
The other VV

I joined this group last year while recovering from a motorcycle wreck. ABS brakes I believe would have helped me avoid the truck and maintain control. Decided to get a different bike with ABS and a frame mounted fairing this time. I do not like the riding position on a Goldwing or BMW. That leaves the HD Road Glide, Vulcan Voyager, and Victory Vision. After reading on here all the problems with heat and experencing it myself during 2 demo rides. After experencing and reading about the rattles, choking down while in motion, and just the tone of dissatisfaction with their bike by some of the members on here I went with the Victory Vision. The Vision has more leg room, more Horsepower, electric windshield, heated seats, and grips. The engine heat is nothing like what I felt on the Vulcan Voyager. I could go on, but don't want to sound like a commercial. Victory makes some great bikes if you are unhappy with what you have give them a try.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I joined this group last year while recovering from a motorcycle wreck. ABS brakes I believe would have helped me avoid the truck and maintain control. Decided to get a different bike with ABS and a frame mounted fairing this time. I do not like the riding position on a Goldwing or BMW. That leaves the HD Road Glide, Vulcan Voyager, and Victory Vision. After reading on here all the problems with heat and experencing it myself during 2 demo rides. After experencing and reading about the rattles, choking down while in motion, and just the tone of dissatisfaction with their bike by some of the members on here I went with the Victory Vision. The Vision has more leg room, more Horsepower, electric windshield, heated seats, and grips. The engine heat is nothing like what I felt on the Vulcan Voyager. I could go on, but don't want to sound like a commercial. Victory makes some great bikes if you are unhappy with what you have give them a try.
Did you consider the new 8-Ball ? Or did you get the big touring one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vision

I got 2011 tour pearl white. Bought it the Wed night before Thanksgiving have about 12.5K miles on it. I was unable to ride it from July 27 until August 27 due to surgery. REALLY like this bike its not perfect, but real close IMHO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts