Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED AT THE BOTTOM!!!

Hello Vulcan community, I'm here asking for your diagnosis and help!

As you can see from my video, my '07 Vulcan 500 won't start, it makes this "click" sound and I can't figure out where exactly it's coming from (I can tell it's near the battery compartment). I've just replaced the battery today and it did start the first time, then I turned it off and tried again and nothing, so I did all the following:
  • Check battery cable is fastened to the terminals
  • Check voltage with ignition on (12.45) and when I press the start (12.23)
  • Check for broken fuses
  • Check the cables and connectors in the starter
  • Clean all the switches, connectors, cables and fuses with electrical cleaner
  • Check clutch lever switch & side stand switch
  • Tried to start it on neutral/first gear and the kickstand up/down
  • Cry desperately
Nothing worked and/or out of order.

I should add that I didn't ride the bike in the last 10 days and it was covered inside the garage.
This is my first bike and she has been a great teacher to me learning a lot of maintenance so if I don't know some basics stuff please forgive me in advance guys 馃檶.

Edit: I'm adding the new checks on the list in italic

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the battery is dead/not charged.
When I went to the store to purchase the new battery, the guy told me that he had just poured the liquid inside the battery and it should be good to go after 1h, in fact, to be safe I did check the voltage of the battery and it was good (12.52)

Super Moderator
Check the kill and starter switch for corrosion. Also check the starter lockout switch (clutch switch) at the clutch lever and the side stand switch. Get some good electrical cleaner/lubricant and spray all the switches. Recheck your fuses. There is a specific ignition fuse. Get back to us with your findings. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Check the kill and starter switch for corrosion. Also, check the starter lockout switch (clutch switch) at the clutch lever and the side stand switch. Get some good electrical cleaner/lubricant and spray all the switches. Recheck your fuses. There is a specific ignition fuse. Get back to us with your findings. Thanks.
I just did all of that including cleaning all the connectors around the battery and the starter/solenoid, nothing happened but at least now all the connection/switches are nice clean.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I need to add also that during my cleaning, I went to check the solenoid and nothing seems wrong; I tried to "jump" start the bike by connecting the cables without success.
I did find some suspicious things, but I don't know if they are the reason why the bike doesn't want to start:
  • The white connector between the battery and the solenoid had some corrosion
  • The red connector that goes on the solenoid has only 3 metal plugs instead of 4, is that normal?

Attachments

Super Moderator
Ok. if you are sure everything you checked is good have to move on to the other connections and components. Here is a link to the factory repair manual troubleshooting page. Look over the manual and the wiring diagrams to find out about those connectors in your last post. Look at the starter system wiring and follow the power from the battery through the components and check connectors along the way.

Registered
So did you clean up the corrosion on those connections?
You have a clue. You installed the new battery and it fired right up.

Seems like your not doing anything right now, so for fun charge the battery over night and try again.
MOST of the time after adding the acid a battery needs to be charged for a period of hours.
And to help you out in the future - after this battery craps out in 3-5 years get a maintenance free one.
Having to check the battery for water level and finding its very low is the worst!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So did you clean up the corrosion on those connections?
You have a clue. You installed the new battery and it fired right up.

Seems like your not doing anything right now, so for fun charge the battery over night and try again.
MOST of the time after adding the acid a battery needs to be charged for a period of hours.
And to help you out in the future - after this battery craps out in 3-5 years get a maintenance free one.
Having to check the battery for water level and finding its very low is the worst!
After a further inspection of all the cables and the ignition system, I checked the starter motor connector and check for voltage, and was above 12.3v, so my biggest suspect is that something wrong with the starter motor since I can start the bike with a push start every time.
But I will charge the battery overnight today just to have that ticked off the list.

I found a good video on YouTube of a guy rebuilding the starter motor, but I couldn't find a repair kit online for my '07... So I'll keep everyone posted

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Starter motors usually don鈥檛 go bad that often. There are other components in the starter and ignition circuits that should be checked. Would check starter relay, starter circuit relay, and junction box as outlined in manual. Study the diagrams.

I just checked everything and also recharged the battery, everything is in order.
Tomorrow I'm going for the starter motor and inspect it. Updates will follow.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
SOLVED!

So yesterday I went into the bike with the intention of getting the Starter Motor (SM) out and have a look at it.
Once I removed it from the bike, I looked at all the nuts and washers on the positive terminal of the SM and as you can see, one of the washers seems "cut" and the 3 of them have a copper color, is this what they are supposed to look like?

Furthermore, I tested the SM by using a jumper cable from the bike terminal straight to the SM, turn on the ignition, and press the start button... and to my surprise, it worked!!! So I decided that wasn't the issue so I put everything back and tried to actually start the bike and IT FIRED UP RIGHT AWAY!!!馃槑馃槑馃槑
I tried throughout the day at different times to see if started and it did!

I still don't know what exactly was wrong, but what I did it seems to work; now I need to top off the oil and adjust the clutch pedal and I should be good to go (y)

Thank you all for the help

Attachments

Registered
OK you posted your fix???
It's that good old thing that was a problem and now isn't?
Hopefully it doesn't come back!
But glad its good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts