Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key WILL turn (stiffly), but the cap will not release. I'm pretty sure it's a corrosion problem, but have no idea what to do to get the cap off the tank.

Help is appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Waco,
  • Like GSR stated some type of spray lube in the key receptacle should free it
  • Also push down and release the cap several times. Then Push down while turning the key to see if that helps to release the latch.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I would suggest spraying some dry graphite lock lubricant in there first. WD-40 or any spray lube will leave a residue that will just collect dirt and grime. Dry graphite won't and is an excellent lock lubricant. If the graphite doesn't work, then try WD-40 or a spray lube.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delayed reply. Not being notified. Thank you all for the great help. Since the key does turn, I figure it is the uh .. protrusion at the bottom of the cap that is supposed to retract when turning the key. It just ain't retracting. I tried dry (Teflon) lube ... no luck .... but will give it more effort. WD-40 if that doesn't work. On the verge of panic. I am more optimistic with these suggestions. Thank you all. Will update soon.

EDIT: GOT IT!!:clickheels:

Good shot right down the key hole with Gun Flush, and some twisting back and forth with the key, and rigorous up and downs on the cap, and she came loose. Your suggestions (all of them) were very helpful. Thought I was going to have to drill the whole cap out. SOOO glad. These caps are hard to find. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah my VN800 had a corroded filler cap when I got it. It was so bad that no lubricant helped. I had to brute force it open by inserting the key, then inserting a small flat tip screwdriver into the lock beside the key. After a few minutes working the screwdriver back and forth with the key I finally got it to break free. It had to be completely disassembled and cleaned to get it operational.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought a 2009 Classic and I was convinced that the gas cap was welded on there. It got the old squirt of Liquid Wrench and some up and down pressure and light key twisting and then I let it sit over night. It came loose the next morning.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The caps will do this from time to time i take mine and clean it real good with soe carb cleaner and keep it lubes with WD40 on the rgular and never have much trouble with it.
Before i started doing this it would get stuck pretty regularly

·
Registered
22 Posts
The caps will do this from time to time i take mine and clean it real good with soe carb cleaner and keep it lubes with WD40 on the rgular and never have much trouble with it.
Before i started doing this it would get stuck pretty regularly
In the past I was informed by a lock man to never use WD40 or other type oil in a lock for the reason mentioned earlier, it will remain and collect dirt to give you problems later on. I was told to always use powdered graphite on locks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now that you have it off, might be time to replace. Here is a link to where I bought mine-doesn't reference Kawa 900, but it fit my 2008 Vulcan 900 classic lt perfect.https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Shark-Yamaha-DragStar-1998-2017/dp/B07VQV1HK6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?keywords=bruce+%26+shark+gas+cap&qid=1656013353&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUTFZUVAzWDBWRkJPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODUzOTU0M09XQkU2NTNDNDdVUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDEzNDM4MUtLRU9YTlZHQlNRSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
For $25 bucks, couldn't beat it. Looks exactly like oem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm not trying to create an argument or advocating just giving MY experience with this same issue.
I tried using the powered graphite and found it to be not effective and became a gummy mess inside the lock for the cap from absorbing moisture.
I use WD40 because it cleaned all that black crap out of the lock. Does it collect some dirt from time to time yes it does. But you can feel when it starts to get sticky and know when to do it again. I have to do it once or twice a riding season, and i do it before winter storage.
The graphite only worked for a couple of weeks before I had to flush it out.
This was just my experience others may have had a different experience and that's fine they can use what ever they want.
The problem with these caps is not the caps themselves its the fuel
The ethanol they put in the fuel causes build up on the lock components and causes the key to be hard to turn and the locking wedges to be hard to pull in. You can remove the rubber seal and clean with brake parts cleaner as well to get the deposits off. A new cap will eventually have the same issues..
Try a few different ways till you find one that works for YOU and go with it. as long as its not damaging your cap or paint if it works that is all that matters

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
136 Posts
Ethanol is the bane of mankind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts