Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a Vulcan 900 Classic and I've modified the seat to make it a solo. I would like to add a solo rack behind the seat on top of the rear fender. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't help you with a rack, sorry, but would love to see a picture of how you modified your seat.

On another forum, someone had posted a picture of a home-mod solo seat and they had a medium size tool pouch attached to the back of it to hide the part of the fender where the original seat attaches. IMO it looked really good and would provide some storage. Might be an alternative to a rack if you can't find anything.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rear Fender Rack

I'm a new 2010 900 Vulcan Classic owner....and so far I'm very happy with the bike. Although there are a lot of modifications I am planning on...when I have the cash! Pipes, air, short shock.....
One of the first things I did was change the seat. The stock seat was tough on my back and the new Saddleman Renegade Solo seat feels much better.
AND, I like the look.

I'd like to add a rear fender rack....of tubular construction. I've looked all over the 'net - without any luck.

Although there are a couple I think I could modify. (cut, weld, re-plate.....and of course that would lead to drilling mounting access through the fender and into the hidden braces underneath.)

But YIKES! Whatta a lotta work and expense. Non etheless, do-able.

That rear fender seat latch creates some difficult modification issues.
The Solo seat has an odd tail designed to cover that latch - and that limits the size of any fender rack and sorta covers the forward fender brace that I would like to anchor one end of any redesigned/modified rack.
The other option is a design that would attach to the side fender braces, and curve up and over the fender with a completely fabricated rack attached to those braces.

(Can anybody reading this visualize what in the hell I'm talking about?)
It's all pretty clear in my imagination - but actually making one or the other is another thing altogether.
I worked in sheet metal for thirty years...and if I had access to a shop...I could make either one in a matter of hours. But alas....I've been out of that industry for ten years....and nobody I know is gonna let me into their shop to putz around for half a day.

Bottom line - I need Saddleman, Cobra, more likely somebody like Highway Hawk, ShowChrome or Kawasaki come up with an aftermarket option!!!!!

Somebody out there needs to design a rear fender rack

·
Registered
30 Posts
To the OP, try searching for rack that mount on saddlebags. They are small enough to fit behind a solo seat and some have a curve that is very close. I know J&P Cycles carries these on thier website but I don't recall the exact name. Maybe try saddle bag rack of maybe luggage rack searches.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, Whiting, but I've sen all those. You might note that none of them show fitment to include the Kawa 900. What I'm looking for is someone who has actually done it and their explanation of how they accomplished the mod.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
In reallity they are usually fixed to the rear fender by 2 bolts .. you may have to drill a couple of holes, but it is pretty much a generic install regardless of the brand, make or type. The advantage of specific model type is that they use existing holes that are usually present.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts