Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else picked up the Solo Luggage Rack (http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/EN650BFFL/999940519B),

Found an issue while I installed it, it uses a smaller Allen Wrench than the stock bolt that held the seat down so the one in the battery case will no longer work for you to access the tool kit on the roadside. Guess I have to carry it in my pocket for now.
I was also surprised to see shiny bolts to replace the stock black ones.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, i just put mine on yesterday and noticed the same. I didn't realize that there wasn't that size wrench in the tool bag though. Am also disappointed about the silver hardware. Still, I like the look of it.

Also installed the windshield. I did not get the protector that goes around the outside edge...did anyone else notice this as well?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, i just put mine on yesterday and noticed the same. I didn't realize that there wasn't that size wrench in the tool bag though. Am also disappointed about the silver hardware. Still, I like the look of it.

Also installed the windshield. I did not get the protector that goes around the outside edge...did anyone else notice this as well?
still waiting for my windshield here in the Netherlands, seems the Japanese have problems with the legal terms ;-)
Can you tell us anything about the working of the shield? does it hepl? does it give turbulance and thing s like that ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i've had the luggage rack from day one on mine and it's come in very handy since its the only way i have of carrying stuff around except in a back pack which i don't like. i hated getting under the seat because the locking panel that holds the wrong sized allen wrench is a pain in the arse to get on and off. so i did away with the hex head screw and bought a thumb screw instead. its not black but it is stainless steel. here is where i got it from:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05763164?rItem=05763164

couple pics of what it looks like:

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I've also had the luggage rack for quite some time now. I did reuse the stock seat screw for the front and haven't had any problems, granted the rear is still wrong but I've typically got a bag on there so you can't see it.

That said, you can always head down to your local hardware store and get some m8x1.25 bolts of your liking. Just be sure to take the old one with you so ya get the length right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you post a pic or two of the luggage pack installed? Still deciding...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thumb Screw

I really like the thumb Screw idea (too bad its not black) but I worry about it vibrating loose or if you do tightened it enough that it doesn't will it be too tight to break it free without pliers which of course you could use the ones in the tool kit if you could get to them....lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up a socket head cap bolt from Lowes for the back one, uses same Allen key as the stock one and it is black

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked mine last night and I can't believe that Kawasaki would do something like using a bolt with a different size Allen key...and thanks to Newfiezedder for letting us know because I would have never thought that. But after thinking about it, I think I'm just going to get the correct size Allen key and replace the stock one under the side cover....which I also agree with the person that said that it's a pain in the but to get off and on....which hopefully, I won't have to do that often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm having a slightly different issue. I've got a longer-handled Allen wrench set and I still can't get the bolts loosened to install the rack! The dealer really torqued down on them. They won't budge! Any tips or just more muscle?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi SKOUT, I think just a bit more muscle will loosen them.

Gerry

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just received and installed mine today (they didn't have it in stock at the dealer when I bought the bike). Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find the color of the allen screws to be an issue. It's not like the Vulcan S doesn't have other shiny parts. If the bike was completely blacked out, I might care more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts